Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering what options there are in regards to the dip stick.

I have polished mine and also cut grooves but it is still a nightmare to simply check the oil. I must have spent 15 minutes last night trying to ensure that the oil level was ok, and now i "think" it may be on the high side...

Are there any other tricks to checking the oil?

Also can the dip stick from any other car be used?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
375 Posts
Get a dry paper towel and rock the dip stick on it like you were getting a finger printed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nose-gobblin said:
Get a dry paper towel and rock the dip stick on it like you were getting a finger printed.
Thanks, I like that, will try that when i get home....

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
call champion toyota and buy a brand new dipstick, there is an updated version that is easier to read. When I bought mine I asked for a 91'. I think they are only like $15.00. Much nicer than the original versions.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
NJsupraA70 said:
call champion toyota and buy a brand new dipstick, there is an updated version that is easier to read. When I bought mine I asked for a 91'. I think they are only like $15.00. Much nicer than the original versions.
I tried that myself and it's apparent I already had the better one on my '89 because the '91 I ordered was worse. I don't know if they gave me the wrong one but it was definitely different than the one I have. The '91 they ordered for me was a shorter, pewter colored tip. The one I have is a gold tip.

What I did was drill 3 holes in mine. One at the full mark, one in the center and one at the quart low mark. It's unmistakable when you see the holes fill up with oil.
The other idea would be to use Royal Purple synthetic. It's darker to begin with so it's easier to read. An expensive substitution but pays dividends in protection.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
i believe the older dipsticks work better.
The one with the round piece on the top to pull it out.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i recently got the newer style dipstick and its alot better than the origional. works like a charm!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'd like to see one as well, my 89 has the bad one, but I was talking to someone else who had never even seen one like it on model years ranging through pre and post 89.

·
Phantom Flipper
638 Posts
Suprawill1 said:
I tried that myself and it's apparent I already had the better one on my '89 because the '91 I ordered was worse. I don't know if they gave me the wrong one but it was definitely different than the one I have. The '91 they ordered for me was a shorter, pewter colored tip. The one I have is a gold tip.

You got the wrong one. My local dealer did the same thing to me. I specified a 91-92 dipstick and I got one that was really short and was bent at a sharp angle.
Take it back and make sure they order you the right one. I believe the dealer said there was a California model version (?) dipstick, but who knows.

·
Registered
71 Posts
omg all this time I thought I was the only one with this problem. YAY

I polished mine on a wire wheel but that made it worse :ugh2:

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
lol my brother has this same problem on his new 350 on his el camino

you can either get something else less shiny, cut out some holes and be able to tell that way, or if your good do it by feel

<l><l>

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
MKIIINA said:
i recently got the newer style dipstick and its alot better than the origional. works like a charm!
me too and it was so much better then the dipstick that was in my 91

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Caplax40 said:
You got the wrong one. My local dealer did the same thing to me. I specified a 91-92 dipstick and I got one that was really short and was bent at a sharp angle.
Take it back and make sure they order you the right one. I believe the dealer said there was a California model version (?) dipstick, but who knows.
Actually, I never purchased it because it didn't look like it would perform any better.
I just looked at a shorter pewter colored tip and thought, this won't show any more oil, and told them I didn't want it. Hey, I could have been wrong. I believed that just drilling mine would be better than that one. I'm still on a quest to find one with older style flat tip with the cross design between the two quart markers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nose-gobblin said:
Hey man,

I tried this trick, did not seem to work very well for me. i just get oil across the whole range....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spoolint78 said:
i believe the older dipsticks work better.
The one with the round piece on the top to pull it out.
Does anyone happen to have a pic of the "better" type of dip stick?

I would like to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3p141592654 said:
15301-42012 $10.22 1 dipstick

Definitely better than the gold one, but worse than an old-school flat piece
of metal. LOL
Hey man,

Would you say this one is worth purchasing ?

Would you be able to take a pic for us to see?

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
snake eyes said:
lol my brother has this same problem on his new 350 on his el camino

you can either get something else less shiny, cut out some holes and be able to tell that way, or if your good do it by feel

<l><l>
What do you guys think of painting it flat black?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts