Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my T66 just went out. And we are not quite sure what was the cause. We are not sure if it was lack of oil supply or what. The problem is that the oil feel line is -3an and with the EFI fuse pulled when you crank the car for about 3-5seconds, pretty much nothing except a couple of oil drops come out??? I was under the impression that you should have some flow. However, with the EFI in place and if you start the car and its running, I filled a 16oz plastic cup in about the time it takes for me to leave the driver's seat and come to the engine bay and go back to shut of the ignition (7-10 seconds). Is this normal?

I just need to know if this is problem that needs further looking into, or its a norm. Has anyone, doing their single turbo cranked the car, with EFI pulled to see if large amounts of oil coming out??? All inputs appreciated.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Your oil seams to me to be alright. If you fill a 16oz bottle in 7-10 seconds that sounds to be good. When the turbo went out, was it making any funny noises? Did it go out suddenly?

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
93 twintrbo said:
Your oil seams to me to be alright. If you fill a 16oz bottle in 7-10 seconds that sounds to be good. When the turbo went out, was it making any funny noises? Did it go out suddenly?

Lawrence
I didn't hear any noises prior to this happening. I know I was giving a friend a ride, and the car had been sitting for a couple of hours and I did a full first to second shift all the way to redline at 22psi, and suddenly I heard a screaching whine and that was it. The car was running for 2-3 minutes when I fully boosted. But i figured that the turbine is spinning at 20,000 rpm at idle, and should be plenty of time to oil the bearings in a couple of minutes. I am sure it was dumb because the engine was definitley not warm enough, but a few people tell me that should not have caused the turbo to go out.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That should of been ok, Have you looked at the turbo yet? Check the compressor wheel to see if it spins freely. Also check to see if the wheel made contact with the compressor cover.

Lawrence

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
When I installed my turbo, I accidentaly left the banjo bolt on the block a LITTLE loose. It puked 4 quarts of oil onto the driveway in about 30 seconds. No shit. The dipstick showed full oil before I started it, and then after the "mishap" I had to add almost 4 qts to get it back to full. The flow available to that line is A LOT, and when the motor is cold, it should have huge oil pressure. BTW, I am feeding from the stock oil feed line for the #1 (forward) turbo, not from the oil filter bolt.

Your oil flow to the turbo is very low - check the line to see if it has a crimp or some other obstruction.

-M

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
93 twintrbo said:
That should of been ok, Have you looked at the turbo yet? Check the compressor wheel to see if it spins freely. Also check to see if the wheel made contact with the compressor cover.

Lawrence
Oh the turbo was fubar. The compressor was locked in place. No matter what I could not turn it, and yes it did touch the housing. You could see where it made scuff marks.

98mkiv said:
When I installed my turbo, I accidentaly left the banjo bolt on the block a LITTLE loose. It puked 4 quarts of oil onto the driveway in about 30 seconds. No shit. The dipstick showed full oil before I started it, and then after the "mishap" I had to add almost 4 qts to get it back to full. The flow available to that line is A LOT, and when the motor is cold, it should have huge oil pressure. BTW, I am feeding from the stock oil feed line for the #1 (forward) turbo, not from the oil filter bolt.

Your oil flow to the turbo is very low - check the line to see if it has a crimp or some other obstruction.
This is getting confusing, some say its enough oil coming out, some say its not, arrghhhh!!!.

Is there anyway that I can check the pressure of the oil feed line? Can I screw something on there to find out what pressure I am getting at idle? I do not want to destroy another turbo.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
your pressure should be fine regardless of flow, unless it's totally cut off, which you said it isn't.

You need to check the flow. And you already did this. 16 oz in 7-10 seconds sounds a little low, but not too bad. Maybe thats why it lasted as long as it did. It's time to speak to the turbo MFG and ask them if that is adequate flow, only they can tell you for sure. If you wanted more flow, you could go up a size in the supply line.

-M

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
On my opinion the oil feed line should be a -4AN for more volume instead of pressure!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speedmaster747 said:
On my opinion the oil feed line should be a -4AN for more volume instead of pressure!
And I think that might be the culprit. My oil feed line is -3AN.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Ive always run a -3 line with no problems. At one time I thaught of going to a -4 but when I called turbonetics they said that a -3 is fine. I might be mistaken but I thaught most turbo kits come with -3 lines :scratch:. Another question, do you run an oil restrictor?

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No oil restrictor for me.

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
Ive always run a -3 line with no problems. At one time I thaught of going to a -4 but when I called turbonetics they said that a -3 is fine. I might be mistaken but I thaught most turbo kits come with -3 lines :scratch:. Another question, do you run an oil restrictor?

Lawrence
Normally brake lines are the ones with -3!
i have always used -4. And as long as the return is big enough, you shopuld have no problems with it!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
93 twintrbo said:

Lawrence
Furthermore, Turbonetics seems to FAVOR a -3. They warned me repeatedly that under no circumstances should anything larger than a -4 be used on my BB T-64. Anyway, I've been on a -3 size line for 5 years, 3 different turbos, and no problems whatsoever. <shrug>

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
Furthermore, Turbonetics seems to FAVOR a -3. They warned me repeatedly that under no circumstances should anything larger than a -4 be used on my BB T-64. Anyway, I've been on a -3 size line for 5 years, 3 different turbos, and no problems whatsoever. <shrug>
DBB turbos require less oil volume and pressure!

·
Registered
558 Posts
If it filled a quart in the time you stated you do not have an oil volume problem...

If you want to see if you have an oil pressure problem, simply hook an oil pressure guage up to the line.

A -3AN is sufficient size to properly feed a turbo.

Your turbo going out was most likely not the line size nor the volume and presumably not pressure either...

Just my 02...Which counts for a lot...

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have definitely heard the DBB turbos require less oil to the point that they need an oil restrictor or they may smoke. I am not sure how valid that it. At this point I am hoping that since it was a used turbo, that it was on its way out. Although, when we installed it it literally had no shift play and spun perfectly.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
I have been researching and debating this oil restrictor, flow, and pressure regarding ball bearing turbos for quite some time now and am still not 100% sure about it all.

It seems that different types and brands of turbos are spec'd either run with or without a restrictor. Turbonetics specifically told me NOT to run a restrictor on their BB and non BB turbos but to stick with a 3an or 4an feed line and a large return.

some more useful info on the topic"
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381984

·
Registered
298 Posts
it does sound like you need more oil volume, the -4 an may be the way to go but ask the turbo company.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts