Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has purchased and installed the GReddy Oil Filter Relocation Kit? After the hundreth time or so of changing the oil and filter on my 94 TT I have finally decided that I am done killing my arm to change the filter. :madjerk:

Any feedback on the Kit would be thankful.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
9SupraTT4 said:
I was wondering if anyone has purchased and installed the GReddy Oil Filter Relocation Kit? After the hundreth time or so of changing the oil and filter on my 94 TT I have finally decided that I am done killing my arm to change the filter. :madjerk:

Any feedback on the Kit would be thankful.

Thanks!!
I like mine. It's kind of a PITA to install properly and keep the braided lines from rubbing against anything. I'd recommend putting two clamps at each end of each hose, and making a bracket or using some zip ties as needed to keep the hoses from rubbing against the steering shaft or whatever else might be in the way wherever you mount the filter boss.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found that by taking out the 3 10 mm bolts that hold the powersteering reservoir (I use an air ratchet) you can get to the oil filter with ease.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
I like mine. It's kind of a PITA to install properly and keep the braided lines from rubbing against anything. I'd recommend putting two clamps at each end of each hose, and making a bracket or using some zip ties as needed to keep the hoses from rubbing against the steering shaft or whatever else might be in the way wherever you mount the filter boss.
I totally agree.
I mounted the kit to the tranny bell housing. It's finally easy to change the filter!

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
SJ said:
i still dont understand this big deal with the oil filter
There apparently is some difference in access, possibly even within the '94 model.
I've heard others say it's easy or remove the battery, etc.
Nothing like that remotely helped on my '94. :scratch:

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
i had a 94 ... i seriously never had a problem getting to it from under the car but i guess working on cars everyday makes it easier...i dont know like i say everytime this posts comes up you just reach up around the control arms and its right there

the other thing i wanted to mention is even though no one has really ever had a prob with the remote oil filter...theres something about moving the oil filter off of the block that just would make me feel strange

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My complaint was that the oil would get all over the subframe, etc. when the filter was unscrewed from the boss on the side of the block. Cleaning it up thoroughly was a PITA.

I understand your concern about the remote location, though -- can't help being a little concerned when you start messing with somethign as critical as oiling.... FWIW, I've been on the GReddy relocator since 2000, spinning the motor to 8K+ and don't seem to have any problems so far.

SJ said:
i had a 94 ... i seriously never had a problem getting to it from under the car but i guess working on cars everyday makes it easier...i dont know like i say everytime this posts comes up you just reach up around the control arms and its right there

the other thing i wanted to mention is even though no one has really ever had a prob with the remote oil filter...theres something about moving the oil filter off of the block that just would make me feel strange

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks guys I think I will purchase it. Everyone seems like they like it and it hasen't caused any headaches.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 96 and have changed oil at 10 in the evening without any real problems for illumination, etc.
What is the avg cost of this equipment for the mod?
Does anyone have any pics on the better relocation spot?

thanks

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
VickSupra said:
I totally agree.
I mounted the kit to the tranny bell housing. It's finally easy to change the filter!
ditto

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Wouldn't that location almost be worse than stock in terms of getting oil all over everything when you unscrew the filter? :scratch:
Like others mentioned, mounting the filter just off the bellhousing works great.

supraman116 said:
I'm not sure if it's the Greddy, but ::MySTiK_[SuPRa]:: has it as you can see in the top right area of the engine bay.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
Wouldn't that location almost be worse than stock in terms of getting oil all over everything when you unscrew the filter? :scratch:
Like others mentioned, mounting the filter just off the bellhousing works great.
Yep - I can reach the filter and take it off without raising the car!!!

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i have mine under the car kinda near the fule filter. easy to get at and to change without a mess. stock area was a pita.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
i will be installing mine shortly. in my opinion, the lines provided in the kit are not a sufficient length, so i got new longer lines to broaden my choices for a new location.

regarding the price, i think the greddy kit is well worth not cutting the crap out of my arms every time i change my oil! it makes it even worse now that my nitrous selinoids are along the side of intake mani, making it damn near impossible to get to the filter.

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
StSupDog said:
Isn't there a less expensive kit than greddy?
That's been bothering me to. This is not a high tech part. Found that SummitRacing has some much less expensive oil relocation kits.

TransDapt oil filter relocation kit #1113 about $50. Fits most Toyota/Lexus (including 2jz-gte) vehicles with 3/4" - 16 threads and 2 1/2: ID x 2 3/4" OD o-ring

·
Registered
993 Posts
SCoupe 5sp said:
That's been bothering me to. This is not a high tech part. Found that SummitRacing has some much less expensive oil relocation kits.

TransDapt oil filter relocation kit #1113 about $50. Fits most Toyota/Lexus (including 2jz-gte) vehicles with 3/4" - 16 threads and 2 1/2: ID x 2 3/4" OD o-ring
This sounds great! has anyone trying this kit?

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
I have one on order and should have it installed within two weeks. I'll let you guys know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts