Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start up my car, the oil gauge raises up to above 40, somtimes higher if its cold outside, but when i was driving from an hour trip, it drops to 0, i get nothing, which i dont think is normal, cuz my other supra never did that, even if i have enough oil in the tank. What the hell is going on? LMK thanks!

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
theres some kinda of oil pressure sending unit that sometimes goes faulty...check that out. do a search on here too, i forget but im sure there are a few threads about this :) hope you find your prob

·
Registered
535 Posts
7MGTE said:
When i start up my car, the oil gauge raises up to above 40, somtimes higher if its cold outside, but when i was driving from an hour trip, it drops to 0, i get nothing, which i dont think is normal, cuz my other supra never did that, even if i have enough oil in the tank. What the hell is going on? LMK thanks!
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago...I thought my oil pump was going out but luckily it was just the sending unit that sends the signal to the oil gauge. Probably your problem.

Good luck.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Keep an ear open for a knock.......

Don't like to say it, but low oil pressure is a sign that the bearings may be going out. It may not be in your case, but ever since my bearings went out, I'm ALWAYS looking at that guage.

·
" its not a Tuuurbo"
844 Posts
mine does almost the same thing too, at start up its 40psi then gradually drops as the car warms up at idle which is like 5-7 hundred rpm not sure, its a little bit over 0 i know i have oil and pressure in the car , just the gauge worries me , then when i step on the gas it gradually goes up again , i notices it goes up every 1000 rpm , 1000- 10psi 2000 - 20 psi etc.. , anyone else have this problem, is it even a prob, .. what can be done about it..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the same thing going on in my car. when it's cold it goes above the 40 mark. but as soon as the car warms up it drops. i think it's probably the sending unit getting old. it's not too bad though. when warm it sits at the first mark above the 0, at 3000 rpms it goes to just above the 40 mark. most likely the sending unit got old and isn't geting/sending the correct voltage.

Gabe

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
turbochevell...Mine does the EXACT same thing. I don't think it's a real problem but I would like to know what my oil press, is doing. I'll probably just end up buying an aftermarket gauge instead of replacing the stock sending unit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it also normal that the oil pressure goes down, when yur in fith gear? Compare to other gears? Or should it always be at around the same place?

·
" its not a Tuuurbo"
844 Posts
flyboy, i was thinking the same thing about getting an after market guage like autometer, i just put in a single a-pillar pod for my boost gauge , guess im getting another one for the oil pressure guage..:D

·
Newbe....I know nothing!
1,853 Posts
I have the Autometer one in my Supra and at startup its at 60psi and when its warm 15-20psi at idle:D and at 3000RPM its at 40psi.

P.S. the motor only has 400miles on it:D can you say fresh.:rolleyes:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just remember, its a low pressure, high volume pump...

i see 5-10psi at idle

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know this thread is old...........just to clarify though, what is "normal" oil pressure on a 7mgte. I never see over 40psi. At idle mine sits at the first mark above 0. It doesnt fluctuate or anything like some were talking about.
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts