Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 turbo supra(this being my first turbo car and supra)and as I was detailing the motor and decidede to pull of my intercooler piping only to find oil in it.I only pulled it off up by the 3000 pipe so im thinking theres more at the bottom of the ic pipe but most of all what is causing this.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
That would be your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)

If you look just behind the 3000 pipe, you will see a pipe going into two ports on the valve covers. If you look at the other end of that pipe you will see that it goes into the throttle body. That's where it's coming from. Most people use a catch can or something similar to bypass this nasty mess. Basically, you just remove that pipe and use something else to collect the oil.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
What exactly are the side effects of this problem?

F

·
0 Posts
question

would there be any negative effects for my car if I just ran some hose from the covers to the bottom of the engine bay? I would put some sort of screen on there to make sure no bugs crawled up. Anyone do that without a catch can, it just seems liek more weight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're worried about a 1/2 a pound catch can in a 3500+lb car

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
SupraTrey said:
Nothing....... if it starts to be access oil.... you may have blow by.... but just keep an eye on her..... if its pouring out oil.... thats when you need to worry. BTW this should go in the Technical forum next time. :)

Trey
WOW!!!!! I can't believe the new guy isn't getting yelled at ;)

Yeah like they all said keep and eye on it and get a catch can or similar device. A hose to the ground works just make sure it doesn't dump the oil on to the exhaust manifold and you get that burnt oil smell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts