Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled my intake plenum off and found oil pooling up in the intake manifold runners. Here's the situation and my question(s):

- The engine was recently rebuilt, but the car smokes (blue smoke, mostly after idling and when you begin to accelerate. Also smokes a bit between shifting gears).
- Wet/dry compression test was 'supposedly' in specs (performed by a third party Toyota dealership)
- The dealership could not confirm if the smoking was from a bad valve seal (no visible leakage when the cylinders were checked with a scope). Though the dealership believed this was the most likely cause.
- One mechanic thought it was probably a bad PCV
- Two other mechanics were certain it was the turbo, especially after seeing the amount of oil in the IC piping. This seemed likely to me, since it was a rebuilt turbo with 80K+ miles on it
- Installed a NEW turbo. Car still smokes.

Any ideas? I'm going to install a catch can soon... think it will help?

There are some pretty smart MKIII owners on here and I trust your diagnoses more than some of the mechanics I've run into.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
could be blow by and or bad valve seals. what was the compression on the test?

·
Registered
520 Posts
try using a thicker oil w/ some detergency in it. pick up some 15w-40 rotella and put it and let the car chew on it for a while, could help things out.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I would have another mechanic check the valve seals. Oil in the intake pipe is normal because of the pcv system routing back into the pipe. Getting a catch can will keep the oil out of the intake pipe. Is your pcv system still in the stock locations?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Durrr said:
try using a thicker oil w/ some detergency in it. pick up some 15w-40 rotella and put it and let the car chew on it for a while, could help things out.
How will this help?

Yes, the PCV is still in the stock locations. There is about a teaspoon of oil in each runner, after it pooled together. Is that about average?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts