Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure this means bad news, found alot of oil in the sparkplug wells today while chaning the spark plugs.

What does that mean?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Means leaky valve cover gaskets. Go up to your parts store and order some new ones and get rid of the phillips head screws and get some 10mm bolts.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I wish I had that picture of mine :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
LOL every supra owner that works on their own car has probably run into that at some point no biggie just new gaskets like everyone said. Alot of people over torque them or never check them.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
And here I come being the asshole...

use of the "search" button is highly encouraged...

Leaky valve cover gaskets are quite common on these cars, mainly for the reasons listed above...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

Nofi but i have to agree with the persone above me... this is probably the most common problem next to bhg's to happen to our beloved 7m's

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this problem with my Eclipse numerous times. What do our valve covers need to be torqued down to? My torque wrench doesnt go down past 10 ft/lbs.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
I replaced them with allen bolts with lock washers... and just tightened them down evenly... doesn't need to be that tight... just snug.

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
a lot of people overlook that fact that the oil will eat up the spark plug wires over time. Not to mention that it can cause the engine to misfire depending on how much oil is down there.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
you mean like this?

if it's valve covers and it most likely is, then it's not a big deal, just make sure you don't remove the sparkplug and have the oil fall into the cylinder.

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
it won't really hurt the engine if the oil goes inside the cylinder. You'll only see alot of blue smoke upon start up for a little bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts