Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Sound Performance
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is the dipstick really hard to read? When I checked the oil level it looks like it is really low, but I just added a quart today. So far I've added like 3 or more quarts since I bought the car and put only like a couple hundred miles on. My oil pressure is around 10 psi at idle and around 30-35 at 3k rpm. What's wrong?

· Registered
355 Posts
Oil Pressure is perfect! So, check for leaks, if no external leaks, check any turbo seals or better, oil in the intercooler. That means blown seals in the turbo. If nothing yet then, you probably have a BHG but, to check that look for i believe it's blue smoke. There is alot that could cause oil levels to drop. Just slowly and accurately look through each possibility. Good Luck!

· Registered
19 Posts
The dipstick is one of the worse designs I've seen. With fresh clear oil it's unreadable, so I just go with the 4.2 liters as stated in the TSRM when changing oil.

If there are no oil leaks under Your car, some oil burn-off is normal, but if it's more than say 0.5l per 10,000 Km (6,000 miles), Your turbo is the prime suspect.

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
Toyota made an oil dip stick update for the MK3. Go get it from the dealer. Like $15. You can read it!

Dennis

· Sound Performance
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil Pressure is perfect! So, check for leaks, if no external leaks, check any turbo seals or better, oil in the intercooler. That means blown seals in the turbo. If nothing yet then, you probably have a BHG but, to check that look for i believe it's blue smoke. There is alot that could cause oil levels to drop. Just slowly and accurately look through each possibility. Good Luck!
Really, the oil pressure is perfect? I thought that it was too low. I thought 30 at 3k rpm was too low. There is no smoke at all, just condensation in the morning. The turbo boosts fine. Has a stock psi of 7 and pulls hard. I highly doubt I have a BHG, I have none of the symptoms. No milky oil, no gurgling, no weird performance. In general, noting out of the ordinary. My car is a show car. Could it just be because it has 138k miles?

· Batshit crazy old bastard
10,695 Posts
Our cars have low oil pressure. Yours does sound fine and I would not worry about it. When checking your oil, try reading the backside of the dipstick. Sometimes it is easier to see the fill level on the back than on the front.

Valve covers are also famous for leaking oil. Check your spark plug valley, you may oil there from the valve covers.

· The Supra Don Dada
239 Posts
the dipstick is a POS, what I did was sandpaper the tip(not hardcore, just until clean) and get all the gunk off and mine reads really well now, and as for oil pressure I think stock idling is something like 4-7 really low.

· Registered
514 Posts
I forgot to bolt down my dip stick after fixing a bhg and it disappeared haha :/
Where could i find the updated toyota one?

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
I forgot to bolt down my dip stick after fixing a bhg and it disappeared haha :/
Where could i find the updated toyota one?
The place that sells all the other Toyota parts.

· Sound Performance
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just drilled 3 small holes in the tip of my dipstick, this makes it really easy to read the levels.

Also, the 7M's have what is known as a high volume, low pressure oiling system.
So 30 Psi for 3k rpm is good?

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Yes 30 psi is fine. FWIW a 30w oil (5w30, 10w30...) will read about 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.

This is fine for a 7M as it's not a pressure based system.

· 7M Fanatic
3,614 Posts
I run 60 psi hot at speed, and 20 psi hot at idle.
Sorry, but I don't beleive that bull about high volume/low pressure.
An engine is an engine, and oil pressure helps float the bearings off the crank surface,
just like any other car engine.

HKS's sub-8 second, 7M drag car ran 80 psi.
I overdrive my pump by 15% with a custom pulley.
But then again, I have a lot of work done to mine, and rev it to 8500 daily.
(why have a performance car that fear of 'the dreaded rod knock' keeps you from enjoying it?)

Your numbers look to be average for a stock 7M.

· Sound Performance
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run 60 psi hot at speed, and 20 psi hot at idle.
Sorry, but I don't beleive that bull about high volume/low pressure.
An engine is an engine, and oil pressure helps float the bearings off the crank surface,
just like any other car engine.

HKS's sub-8 second, 7M drag car ran 80 psi.
I overdrive my pump by 15% with a custom pulley.
But then again, I have a lot of work done to mine, and rev it to 8500 daily.
(why have a performance car that fear of 'the dreaded rod knock' keeps you from enjoying it?)

Your numbers look to be average for a stock 7M.
What are you saying?

· 7M Fanatic
3,614 Posts
I am saying that those low oil pressure numbers are typical for a 7M,
but the engine will last a lot longer if you increase the oil pressure.
Not that one can do that without getting to the oil pump.
But if your ever into the lower end, shim the relief spring, and jack the pressure up.

· Sound Performance
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am saying that those low oil pressure numbers are typical for a 7M,
but the engine will last a lot longer if you increase the oil pressure.
Not that one can do that without getting to the oil pump.
But if your ever into the lower end, shim the relief spring, and jack the pressure up.
Yea, I won't be doing that myself anytime soon. I'm not really mechanically inclined.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Even if you were mechanically inclined that isn't the best advice on a BPU 7M like yours. If you were building it for 500+hp it would be a whole other story and you can do your research about that when the time comes.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=LU&Page=2

Read the diagram at the bottom of this page from the bottom up. The relief spring (~40psi stock) will dump back to the pan, then the 2nd relief on the filter bracket will dump to the cooler at ~35-40psi, then there is another relief spring built into every standard oil filter that will cause the oil to go through unfiltered if the pressure is too high or the filter is clogged (I have yet to find any actual pressure values for this relief).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.