Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i woke up today: it was a nice and bright sunny day so i decided to take out the supra for a spin and my friend noticed as i pulled the car out that there was oil on the floor. I immediatly took it to this hole in the wall type mechanic shop who told me that it could be the headgasket, front seal, or valve stem seals. From reading various other threads and searching i'm almost 95% positive that it is not the headgasket for white smoke doesn't come out from the exhaust. anyone have any ideas on what it could be or any suggestions on how to narrow it down. If this helps there are no mods on the car. Completely stock from top to bottom. 95 6spd.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey 22urbo your the one who got your car from Dallas huh?? any ways if it was white then that would be coolant and no be good at all, but you said that it is not. It could be your valve cover gasket because I am going to replace mine to. I'm at 79k miles 95 tt 6spd like yours. check that and see if oil is coming from the valve cover gasket

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well from the general area that my tiny oil leak comes from and from looking at the sploch when the car was on a lift I determined it was from the rear main seal. I've read that the oil leak could be from a broken valve cover or it's gasket but that is usually easily spotted and it can usually drop down the back of the engine making it look like a rear main seal leak also. Cleaning the bottom off of the engine and letting it sit and looking for the leak visually could work.

I just put a piece of card board under the car and looked for the drops and imagined them in relation to the car's engine when the board was under it :D Decent place to start that requires little work.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well when it was on the lift the oil looked splattered. but didn't have the chance to check where exactly the leak was coming from because the owner of the shop was closing. and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that if it was the head gasket the car would be smoking in the color of white which is not the case. I'm just confused because someone said it was the valve stem seals...but I'm boosting 10.5 psi and I'm completely stock...

·
Registered
480 Posts
when i thought i had an oil leak, it was actually one of my power steering lines that were bad, looked exactly like motor oil. But then i had a cracked valve cover as well which was also leaking oil from the top all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well if you can get your car up a bit 22urbo, even on some jack stands, clean up the bottom and check it out a few hours later. Check/feel around the where the valve cover meets the head especially towards the rear of the motor. If your Valve Stem Seals are leaking I don't see how that corressponds to a oil leak onto the floor of your garage but anyways the leak through those seals will cause blue exhaust and you will definately smell it, can't miss that smell.

My power steering leaked also, but the fluid was the color of the power steering fluid so it was unmistakeable. Compare the fluid in your resevoir to the drippings if you wish.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
I've never seen a valve stem seal or head gasket (that wasn't obvious) = oil on the floor :rolleyes: I would never even drive by a shop that told you that...probrably rear main.... I think a little more inspection and your answer will present itself.. I would draw no conclusions based on only the information provided...

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
valve stem seals leak internally and a head gasket could leak on the outside (oil) but not likely at all , as said before , the white smoke you would see if it was a head gasket (internal leak) would be sweet smelling caused by anti freeze going into the exaust track and burning off ......the only car i have ever seen leak oil on the outside from a head gasket was the older neons or other dodges with that motor ......it could be many things you just have to have it looked at .......i would say ,(if you dont do it yourself) go get an oil change and ask the guy to take a look at it

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last night i left the car parked and i put a large piece of cardboard under the car. Left it over night and when i woke i went straight outside to see if i could tell where it was coming from. Well i think i have more than one area of leakage. One is coming from the front middle. And the other is directly behind it maybe like 2-3 feet behind it. There not massive puddles of oil but looks more like two huge noogie spits put together with a dark color of course.....could it be oil lines that are corroded and leaking from 2 different areas? Or am i looking at something much worse?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts