Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back to Action!
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've only had the car for about 2 weeks. - 89T (and I'm not mechanically inclined - so if anything I say doesn't make sense term-wise, that'll be why).

Everything works great, initially no leaks, no smoke. Now, we've had a few days of nice weather (mid 20's C - 70's F) and I notice after I've parked from driving a bit there are 2 spots on the ground.

I've done some searches and have done some preliminary checking (there does seem to be some oil residue in the accordian pipe - I haven't had it off entirely but I pulled with of the hoses and stuck my finger in).

Leak 1 seems to be coming from the intercooler pipes (see the picture below).

Leak 2 is coming from the right-side of the engine - it looks to be running down a hose but I can't tell where it's coming from.

Previous owner said he put 20w50 synthetic in (which might explain why it only leaks when the weather is nice???).

What's leaking? What do I need to fix (or have fixed)?

Thanx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
To eleminate the oil in the accordian tube you need to get yourself a catchcan. The oil in the ic pipe could also be a leaky turbo seal. To fix that you would need a rebuild on the turbo. I guess the cheapest route would be to get a catchcan and see it that helps. The second leak im not to sure about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
check your oil cooler lines really good, they get brittle and tend to leak, replace them with new hose(easy job) just take your old hoses to the part store and get the same diameter hose but add a few inches......in length//

·
Registered
321 Posts
My best suggestion to repair oil leaks won't work for a lot of people. If you're able to get your hands to these resources then great!

Have your vehicle on a lift and shampoo (engine degreaser) the entire bottom of the engine and on the side of the block where the turbo is. Wash completely and repeat if needed until the engine is spotless....Drive for a few days and you will be able to trace the leaks a lot more easier.

Or you can take it to the dealer and have them do that if you are anal to get it diagnosed and fixed right away. Oil leaks on these engines are hard to trace because there's a lot of components and hoses on these engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts