Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FML i just want this dam 7m to quit spewing oil every were i park... it doesnt leak when running but when i part it seeps out from the front of the motor. I can only see it going down the lowing timing cover. im also seeing oil come from my oil filter assembly. leaking from the copper washers.

pretty much all im asking for is people to tell me this is going to "fix" my oil problems before i devote my 2 days off to fix the problem with the "right stuff"....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i'm pretty sure you're talking about the oil filter housing union bolt (i'm pretty sure there's only one washer there). well, if you took it off before that could be why its leaking. i've noticed that things need to go on very tight. i'm not exactly how tight, but i'm sure the tsrm knows =P. as far as the lower timing cover oil leak... the trick with finding oil leaks is to trace the spot where you see the oil to its highest point. worst case scenario its your front main seal, or maybe the gasket behind that cover that bolts to the block. if you really want to know for sure and you're having a hard time tracing the leak you're just going to have to remove the crank pulley, and pretty much expose the whole timing belt area. because there are a lot of places of oil to creep out in the front of the engine. if i had a hard time finding a leak, that's what i would do. i HATE leaks of any kind, and basically i stop at nothing to get rid of them. so, i've done the process of finding/eliminating leaks quite a few times. if i cant leave my car in one spot for weeks and not see anything under it, then that's a leak, and it must be eliminated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well head studs are tight. i did the front main seal, and their wasnt any oil leaking inside the timing belt area. but it does go up to about as high as the CPS area from were i can see. which sucks. i dont wanna do cam seals hoping its that gasket behind it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
cps oil seal ring maybe... those leaks can be kinda sneaky

·
Registered
746 Posts
front main seal or cam seal most likely. When I still had my 7m though I had a oil leak in my timing cover and it ended up being my head gasket.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the same issue as well, had oil coming from the front right the under the crank pulley, turned out to be the the cam covers which is weird how oil travels against fan wind and gravity pull from acceleration and makes it way in front. but instead of using those oem screw driven screws, i switched to a hex head bolt and tighten it by gut and it stopped the leak

·
Registered
169 Posts
My theory is that your cam cover gasket needs to be bolted down really tight but not too tight and it doesn't hurt to try some RTV between the gasket and the surface, I think my oil leaks were coming from the around the cam seals (not the cam seals) on top and on the sides of the first cam cap bearing (not sure what they're called) in my build i replaced the philip screws with hex screws to give more torque down. Also ever had oil found on the driver side of engine or on the lower intake manifold? Finding oil on the exhaust manifold, the water pipe, on and under the CPS? Guess what it was, the covers

Note: remove the rubber washers from under the screws they do not help at all I suggest using small metal washers

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My theory is that your cam cover gasket needs to be bolted down really tight but not too tight and it doesn't hurt to try some RTV between the gasket and the surface, I think my oil leaks were coming from the around the cam seals (not the cam seals) on top and on the sides of the first cam cap bearing (not sure what they're called) in my build i replaced the philip screws with hex screws to give more torque down. Also ever had oil found on the driver side of engine or on the lower intake manifold? Finding oil on the exhaust manifold, the water pipe, on and under the CPS? Guess what it was, the covers

Note: remove the rubber washers from under the screws they do not help at all I suggest using small metal washers
Pretty sure thats a bad idea. ive only heard people saying make sure you use the rubber washers or you'll crack the valve covers... correct me if im wrong guys.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as well, but I like said not too tight, once I felt the tension on the bolts I did 5 turns on each, I never heard of crack cams covers because of bolt tension, can you give me the thread links
also the reason why I rid of the rubber washers, is because the hex head kept sinking into the rubber, maybe I should've put a metal washer between:dunno:

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
thats how i did mine ... I just reused the stock washer with the metal casing and rubber bottom... doesn't matter how much they squish.. as long as they torque in. do not make your cam cover too tight... Its probably speced out for 12ft lbs... your gasket is just old and the stock bolts suck... buy some new seals at autozone for 12$ and some FIPG from toyota and put that around your seal.. bolt it down.. and clean the edges Problem solved... FIPG is your best friend for our engines.. Toyota did one good thing and made a bad Ass RTV FIPG....FIPG...FIPG
If your front main seal is leaking I believe it can be fixed while in car.. and would be a moderate level of fixing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.