Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the Toyota V160 oil to my 6-speed gearbox a few days ago. After that my oil level warning light has started giving me warnings. It has been illuminated from 5 to 10 seconds and it has given something like 5 warnings total.

My engine oil (mobil 1 5W50) level is just a bit above maximum level, so it should not be that (unless it warns about too much oil). Do you know if the light is also used for warning about low transmission oil level or is this just a broken sensor?

It illuminated first time just over 1-2 miles after I changed the gear oil and it has never done that before.. which suggests that it is actually warning about low transmission oil level.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the transmission fluid level. I've seen check oil light flash like that a couple times and it has always been a warning on low oil level. If i were a quart low, then during acceleration or braking the light would come on. I added a quart & the problem went away. Maybe it is the same for too much. If I were over the full mark I would take a little out.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
the oil light comes on from lack of oil pressure or a bad sensor...check your oil pressure or more likely get a new oil sensor :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SJ said:
the oil light comes on from lack of oil pressure or a bad sensor...check your oil pressure or more likely get a new oil sensor :)
we have two oil warning lights: one for oil level and one for oil pressure.. the red one (pressure) has not illuminated... so i've only got warning for oil level (which is annoying as i have motor oil above maximum).

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
apparently these sensors go bad, mine is doing the same thing and my buddys did the same as well. we both noticed that when you rev the car sometimes it will make it go away. im going to try replacing it or at least inspecting it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Like others said, check the sensor first as they tend to get dirty or go bad. Is that the ONLY light that is coming on or are others coming on with it? If the warning light and battery light and other lights are coming on and going off with it, that generally points to an alternator or charging problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your replies.. the only light that illuminates is the oil level warning light so i'll be checking for a bad sensor. It just seemed quite an unlikely coincidence that it started illuminating just after i changed the transmission oil. :) but if we don't have a trans oil sensor then it's probably just that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies.. the only light that illuminates is the oil level warning light so i'll be checking for a bad sensor. It just seemed quite an unlikely coincidence that it started illuminating just after i changed the transmission oil. :) but if we don't have a trans oil sensor then it's probably just that!
Hello! I was wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I am having the same problem. Oil level is fine but the light comes on intermittently.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Bump... been reading quite a few posts, everyone seems to point to a possible bad sensor. Has anyone replaced the sensor and had the problem go away? Any possibility the connector itself is full of gunk from the back side?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've recently had the same issue. Almost seems to come on randomly.
For now I'm assuming it's a bad sensor.
Oil pressure light stays off.
Oil level is high.

607 Posts
mine does it too. Oil level sensor group buy?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
5W-50 is a little heavy, road race the car? The manufacturer calls for 10W-30 on a stock motor. On a built motor, go with the engine builder's recommendation since they set the bearing clearances. Also, I would not run any car over the full level, but that's just me.

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts