Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that my oil light comes on once every hour or so, for about 5 seconds, then turns off. Why is that?

I just bought the car with 120000 miles on it, good compression. I recently changed the oil, although the car does need a tuneup and new belts.

Also, whenever I start the car, lots of smoke shoots out the back.

I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago with mobil synthetic 15 50 or something. I recently checked the oil and it was slightly over full. What could be causing the oil light to come on every hour or so, and what causes smoke to shoot out the exhaust upon starting the car up? Thanks

·
road hazard
452 Posts
you should be using 10w30. most supra owners recommend mobil1 synthetic. i've been using mobil1 every 3000 miles and i've never had any problems. if you just recently changed your oil, i have no idea why your engine light is coming on. it happened to me a but i found that i was low on oil a couple of times. i put in a quart and it was gone. check your oil level often to see if you're losing oil.

for the smoke coming out of the exhaust, what color is it? if its white, its usually moisture...common. if its blue, i think its bad valve seals. and if its black, then you're burning oil.

correctly if i'm wrong guys.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
SabrewolfX20,

1. Blue = burning oil
2. Black = running rich and/or timing is off
3. Viscosity of 50, especially in cold weather, may cause oil not to reach the oil-level sensor at the proper rate and it could send a false signal.
It used to happen to me quite often, in a different car, when lowering speed after a 65mph drive, like when exiting a freeway.

At next oil change I'd go with 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Could also be other reasons...

Good luck,

Jay :cool:

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
There is a sensor in the side of the oil pan, try unplugging it and cleaning terminals a lil. If the problem is still there, try testing/replacing the level sensor (cake)

-Mike

SabrewolfX20 said:
Ive noticed that my oil light comes on once every hour or so, for about 5 seconds, then turns off. Why is that?

I just bought the car with 120000 miles on it, good compression. I recently changed the oil, although the car does need a tuneup and new belts.

Also, whenever I start the car, lots of smoke shoots out the back.

I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago with mobil synthetic 15 50 or something. I recently checked the oil and it was slightly over full. What could be causing the oil light to come on every hour or so, and what causes smoke to shoot out the exhaust upon starting the car up? Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
The smoke on startup like the guys say depends on the color, but at 120k it could either be valve seals or turbos or both. rebuild kits for turbos are pretty cheap through TEC but the labor is quite a bit. And the valve seals are definitely a bit of labor expense, considering a machine shop usually should be involved to do the whole head right backs to specs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts