Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well when i was looken to see why my coolant was leaking, i noticed oil down in where the spark plug wires snap on to the spark plugs! is this bad why would there be oil there?? maybe i just spilled some down in there. i was just wondering if there was some common problem of leaking oil!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well you could have spilled a little.

worst scenerio? valve cover gasket has a little leak, nothing
serious.

probability? low, you or the person that owned the vehicle before
you (if applicable) spilt some. I wouldn't freak out about it unless
you start having it spil on the driveway.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah this is a common problem. I have oil down there right now as well, cause my valve covers were not tightened down hard enough. Just clean it out, no big deal. Maybe you need to tighten your valve cover bolts or even get new gaskets.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Like theyb said. Valve cover gasket issues. Check the condition of gaskets. If gaskets are fine ... tighten it down more. I would get some hex bolts and maybe even some studs that would work with it. No biggie. Turkey baster will help clean excess puddles of oil. Best regards.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
AWIDESUPIE said:
Like theyb said. Valve cover gasket issues. Check the condition of gaskets. If gaskets are fine ... tighten it down more. I would get some hex bolts and maybe even some studs that would work with it. No biggie. Turkey baster will help clean excess puddles of oil. Best regards.
agreed...

you'll wanna replace the phillips head screw with some hex, and maybe even put a little drop of loctite on the threads to keep them from comin loose again, mine constantly came loose.

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
valve cover gaskets suck. just replace it with a new one and new bolts and grommets. (dont forget the grommets!) if its not leaking now, it will be in a year or 2...might as well fix it now :)

holy crap....more than one person lives in redding and they're both on supraforums?

oh yeah, jeff, i flew over your house the other day....but i couldnt tell cuz there was nothing but trees everywhere...and i said my friend lives down there! and everyone was like no way....no body lives down there :)

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
don't forget to put a little rtv on the new gaskets before you put them on. It;s the universal cure for leaky rubber valve cover gaskets. A small dab of lictite on the bolts helps too just don;t put to much, or you;ll have one hell of a time getting them out. especialy if hte philips heads are stripped a bit (which they often are, becasue people don't know hte diffrence between a #2 and #3 philips :rolleyes: )

Good luck man... and when you clean it all out, put a little dielectic grease on the plug side of the plug wires, it will help gaurd agains missfire incase it happens again. Don't let the oil sit in there though, the plug boots will absorb it eventualy and ruin thier insulating properties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts