Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a single turbo Supra. What does it mean if you spray oil out of the exhaust?

Joe

·
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spoke with Gary at Sound Performance, he thought it might be unburned fuel caused from a rich condition.

Further information is that the car was only running for about a minute, the substance appeared to be black, it did not smoke, and after a couple of "sprays" it went away. I have a catch can routed from the crankcase to the intake and a breather.

Does any of this information help to identify a problem?

·
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it was a black substance like you described. I didn't really think very much (obviously) because it looked like "oil". But upon further review, I can see what you and Gary are describing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
I just spoke with Gary at Sound Performance, he thought it might be unburned fuel caused from a rich condition.

Further information is that the car was only running for about a minute, the substance appeared to be black, it did not smoke, and after a couple of "sprays" it went away. I have a catch can routed from the crankcase to the intake and a breather.

Does any of this information help to identify a problem?
I get this same thing every morning on startup. It's just unburnt fuel. I even have a big black stain on the wall in my garage since I park it in the same spot every day. Don't think it's too much to worry about.

Wei Yan Chan
'98 6sp

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Ya, black sooty deposit is almost always from rich conditions. Do you have a WBO2 sensor in your system? If it's only really rich at startup then I'd tend to think it was something minor. Could be something like a leaky injector(s) or just the tune of your fuel map.

But if the exhaust is full of black soot, it's probably more than just at startup. If you don't have a wideband, it may be time to spring for one. Good to have anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts