Supra Forums banner

What should I do with my engine?

• Buy a new assembled short block

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overhaul engine

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Semi build motor (forged pistons, rods, etc)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Build the shit out of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like it might be that time...I was changing my plugs and oil today in preparation for the imminent drag racing season, and my plugs were pretty oily. The 4th and 6th were the worst. I'm assuming the oil is coming from the rings wearing out and allowing oil to pass through.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to prolong this from happening, since I won't be racing next weekend for the first Import Wars at Great Lakes Dragaway. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to get the motor freshened up and don't necessarily want to build it with forged pieces. I'd rather just rebuild it and do what is necessary. Any inputs? Any good shops to go with other than Sound Performance and Titan? Please throw some input at me guys, I'm pretty bummed :sad:

thanks in advance guys,
Reid

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just an additional thought I had:

Is it possible that the valve seats are going and allowing oil to pass from the top of the motor as opposed to coming from through the rings? I seem to remember a comment from a guy at a Toyota dealership a few months back saying that he saw a small amount of blue smoke puff out the exhaust when he started it. I have also seen this but am also aware that many supras have this happen, I think it was called valve overlap maybe. Either way, this is just another thought but would be much cheaper to fix and I could get a mild head job out of the ordeal :bigok:

·
Old School
4,066 Posts
Make sure it isn't your cam covers leaking oil down into the plug galley.

·
Old School
4,066 Posts
Is the oil mostly covering the threads on the plug, with some perhaps on the tip? And is it oil that looks like it came straight from the crankcase, rather than being crusty/burned/tar-like?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's not unheard of for rings to stick...especially a vehicle that's been sitting. You might try a Auto-RX treatment to see......

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
The first thing to do would be a leak-down test... that will tell all!

I was advised by my machineist that a rebuilt block will be seasoned due to heat cycling. He tells me that it will be much stronger than a new block.... We will see!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the oil mostly covering the threads on the plug, with some perhaps on the tip? And is it oil that looks like it came straight from the crankcase, rather than being crusty/burned/tar-like?
yes, this is exactly what it looks like, which leads me to believe that its either the valve seats or the rings, please correct me if I'm wrong

It's not unheard of for rings to stick...especially a vehicle that's been sitting. You might try a Auto-RX treatment to see......
what does this treatment do for the motor?

The first thing to do would be a leak-down test... that will tell all!

I was advised by my machineist that a rebuilt block will be seasoned due to heat cycling. He tells me that it will be much stronger than a new block.... We will see!
that's a good idea, I'll have to give this a try. I like the sound of the heat cycling!

If it is the valve seats, than I am in luck because I can get that fixed up and get a mild port/polish and a valve job. This would be much better than tearing my entire motor apart and having to rebuild it and break it in. Either way I'm gonna have to break open the piggy bank!

·
Old School
4,066 Posts
yes, this is exactly what it looks like, which leads me to believe that its either the valve seats or the rings, please correct me if I'm wrong
That sounds like oil that has gotten past the cam cover gasket and leaked down into the plug galley where it covered the threads of the plugs as you removed them. A really common problem.

You can try *lightly* tightening the screws that hold the cam covers, but the long term fix is to replace the gasket along with the o-rings that seal each screw on the cam cover.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like oil that has gotten past the cam cover gasket and leaked down into the plug galley where it covered the threads of the plugs as you removed them. A really common problem.

You can try *lightly* tightening the screws that hold the cam covers, but the long term fix is to replace the gasket along with the o-rings that seal each screw on the cam cover.
the only problem with that is that the oil was from the threads and tip of the spark plug, it wasn't coming from the top

·
Old School
4,066 Posts
The top of what?

Oil pools in the valley, around the base of the plug where it contacts the head. When you unscrew the plug oil gets onto the threads, and sometimes the tip.

If the oil appears the same color & consistency as the oil on your dipstick it didn't come up past the rings in a running engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts