Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is stock oil pressure on fully heated engine(7m-gte) at idle? I cant find any info in the manual...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I thought I would whore your thread with my question.

Shaeff, maybe you can answer this.

At idle fullly warmed up, @650rpms, the oil pressure guage sits a hair above zero, or sits AT zero. Would you be worried about that? As soon as you blip the throttle it rises up normally.

Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
mate just built a 1000 hp rb26 motor with full jun internalsgot it tuned for brake in and noticed low oil pressure upon startup and no oil pressure at idle when warm, he fully stripped the motor back down after 300 km and found out the other night that either the shop which was initailly gonna build it (got pissed off after my mate decided to do it himself) or the machinist who balanced everything removed the crank service grub screws. dont care what the manual says but id want a hell of alot more pressure then 4 psi at idle

·
Registered
620 Posts
shaeff said:
just remember:

high volume, low pressure;)

-shaeff
WTF!?

Pressure is resistance to flow (i.e, volume). Increase the flow, you increase the pressure.

7M-GTEs have less resistance than 7M-GEs (for various reasons..., mainly the piston coolers) to combat this, the GTEs use a higher volume pump (i.e, the pump has wider gears internally) than GEs.

·
SMFL
223 Posts
Robbman said:
WTF!?

Pressure is resistance to flow (i.e, volume). Increase the flow, you increase the pressure.
WTF!? :scratch:

Yes, pressure is resistance to flow. (i.e, volulme), So if you decrease the resistance the flow goes up, not down.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
MKIIICalgary said:
I thought I would whore your thread with my question.

Shaeff, maybe you can answer this.

At idle fullly warmed up, @650rpms, the oil pressure guage sits a hair above zero, or sits AT zero. Would you be worried about that? As soon as you blip the throttle it rises up normally.

Thanks
no worries. my JDM motor (about 30k miles) runs a hair above zero at idle, and not even 40psi at cruising speeds (3k rpm). the stock oil filter mount/ oil cooler is much to blame for this.

my motor is healthy as hell. i've been pushing 15psi out of it constantly on the stock CT and it runs like the bat out of hell. i'm not worried about it.

after i install my aftermarket 11x8 oil cooler and 180* thermostat, i expect to see a rise in oil pressure.

-shaeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for info. Mine sits at about 2 at idle, and rises up to 4-6 when on highway. I dont think thats good, but i think it might be becouse of slightly more oil in the system then it should be...

·
Registered
95 Posts
SupraManiac said:
my oil guage doesnt even work.....Does anyone knows how to fix it? haha sorry to steal the topic.
first replace the pressure sending unit (on the side of the block under the P.S.
resivoir , not easy get to.) If still no pressure replace the gauge .I just went thru this . Used the wrong sending unit first time and fried the gauge. it now hold 45psi cold at idle drops to 8-10 after warm up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
turbodhbar said:
first replace the pressure sending unit (on the side of the block under the P.S.
resivoir , not easy get to.) If still no pressure replace the gauge .I just went thru this . Used the wrong sending unit first time and fried the gauge. it now hold 45psi cold at idle drops to 8-10 after warm up.
Before that, you might want to make sure the connector for the sending unit is actually on the sending unit. I had a problem with my gauge doing wierd things and cutting out soometimes. (scared the hell out of me doing 120 on the interstate once) Checked the clip and now all is good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
man you all have me messed up right now. my car is a canadian model and the oil presure gauge is in KG-CM2. lol. what should it be at 700RPM and at 3000RPM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts