Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY autometer oil pressure gauge isnt working. It flicks over to 4:00 and just stays there. It has a new oil pressure sender, power and contiunity. How can i determine if the gauge works with out a replacement gauge?

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
It worked when I sold it to you.... I think you have your connections mixed up... member how the needle was pointing WAY down yesterday? it shouldent sit like that. maybe you have your negative connected to your sensor part...

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked all that yesterday. I had power to the gauge. Now the needle sits at 4:00, not 8:00 like when u saw it. Im stumped.

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
All I can say is it worked when I sold it to you. is the engine grounded? the sensor is screwed in with NO teflon tape. thier is no paint on the threads?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no teflon or paint, we masked all the block holes and put bolts in them. And i think id already know if my engine wasnt grounded since everything else seems to work nicely??

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I'm just pointing out all the things that could be wrong. use a OM meter on the sensor and see if the output varries when you rev the engine. (it should)

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
If the guage isnt working, than I can tell you your likely problem.

What you probably did was connect the sender wire to the 12v power spot on the back of the guage, instead of the right spot(where the sender wire is supposed to go). Even if you did it accidentally for a second, chances are you damaged the sender. Im using the same guage, and autometer specfically says not to do that

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive seen that tag about sender damage. I just got a new sender yesterday, and didnt re wire the gauge. Still doesnt work. And i checked the OHMs and they dont vary when i have my meter grounded on the back of the gauge, and + on the sender input. EHH??

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Um... yea... to use the om meter you need to GROUND one side, and connect the other side to the sensor output.........

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
You got punk'd by Anderson, that or you wired the gauge wrong and did damage to the gauge... aight peace :chicken:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
you had what grounded where?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on the - terminal of the gauge...right on the back little peg thinger. There is a wire that goes to my engine ground connected there, so i figured it was a good ground to test impedence.

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Nope... use the battery.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats a stretch for my meter but ill give it a try this afternoon once im home.

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
How is it a strech for you to use the battery, but not a streach to use a gauge thats monted inside the car?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to run my - from my meter to the - termnal, and my + i guess ill just put on the sender directly, to decrease stretch factor.

~scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts