Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr2 Owner :-D.
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i own an mr2 and we all got oil pressure gauges but the community is much smaller than the supra community so i am bringing this question to you.

Has anyone ever seen or had a mechanical oil pressure gauge line ruptur and spray burning oil all over the cabin or over the driverr?

·
El Pollo Diablo
857 Posts
It could happen, so I'm sure it has.

Closest I've come was a line to a mechanical guage swinging into the turbo heat shield, insta melting, causing a nice little underhood fire.
thankfully, the engine side of that line cauterised instantly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have always been aprehensive of that little plastic line that comes with aftermarket gauges. I've actualy had it burn through in the cabin of my 4x4 toyota truck due to a wiring short. 40 to 80 PSI but very low volume. Nothing to worry about. I have one installed on my 89 Supra with no problems. Do keep it away from the turbo heat. I keep a spare sensor with my emergency parts so if it blows out someday I have something to plug it up with.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
I'm all about mechanical oil pressure guages, but using plastic hose for it is just asking for problems. Get some copper/bronze tubing and run it with that. As long as you don't screw up your fittings you'll never have a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts