Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the deal:
I have an 87 turbo, fresh rebuild by a very reputiable shop that have done a bunch of these motors. The motor is built, ROSS piston, clevite bearings, all balanced, ARP everything, Cometic HG.

I never drove the car before the rebuild as i bought it not running. I got the motor back for the rebuild, installed a new oil pump, and put it in the car. Before i but the motor in I eliminated the stock oil cooler setup and installed the N/A filter adaptor. I started the motor with the filer directly on the block, let it run a while, reved it very little. I then changed the oil and installed a Perma-cool oil cooler and relocation kit with a perma-cool inline thermostat, and drove the car for about 20 miles and changed the oil again. I pressure seemed fine, but i was not really getting on the gas that much. So i get about 400 miles on the car, change the oil again, and I start getting on it much harder. This is where i have my problems.

The car NEVER makes more then 45 psi of oil pressure, even if you drive it at 5k for a little while. I installed a new mechanical guage in the factory relocation to rule out the pressure gauge. I also did a test where i ran the car without the oil cooler and thermo, bascially just the relocation kit.

What do you guys think? I have about 8 pounds when hot at idle, and about 35 pounds at 3k, hita about 40-45 at 3.5k to 4k and never climbs any higher.

At start up the guage reads 50 psi, and if you get on it a little after the car has been running for 10 min it will climb towards 60psi by 4k

The relocation kit is using rubber lines, NO leaks at all, and a factory filter. I had to install 1 brass elbow at the block, but it was a machined elbow hand had no restriction

All comments are welcome....

-Dustin

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
What are the bearing clearances (main/rod/cam)? What were the clearances in the oil pump? You are using a stock size oil filter on the relo kit?? What brand of filter are you using?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i have the same issue as you.. the only thing different is that i get around 15psi at idle. i'm runing castrol GTX 10-40 for my breakin and i run a NAPA filter.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a NAPA gold filter, stock size, 15-40 shell rotella (dino oil) The thermo doesn't make a difference, hooked up or not the pressure is the same

I don't actually know the clearances, they did them at the machine shop, and like i said... they have built a ton of these motors, slow66, hipsi, mellowyello. I called them, and they felt the pressure was fine.

The oil pump is brand new

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
I get 10~15 at hot idle and 50 at 2600 up to 60~70 at 4000+. With 10W40 Mobil 1. I'm running .002 on the rods and .0015 on the mains. -10 line, B&M Super Cooler, Remote filter, AC Delco Dura Guard filter. I don't know anything about the NAPA filters but you might want to try the AC Delco. Whatever you do stay away from FRAM. FRAM (Allied Signal) really screwed up on their "new" design. I have two pressure gauges (one in the filter inlet and the other in the stock or "after the oil filter" location) The AC Delco shows about a 2 psi drop at idle and a 6 psi drop above 50psi with the oil still being very clean (large filter element). The FRAM showed a 7psi drop at idle (!!) and a 12psi drop above 50psi. Their gay little "rough grip" or whatever does not make up for the incredibly poor design.

All of my pressures that I state are those measured after the oil filter. Any measurements taken before the filter are useless and just generally a dumb idea as the oil filter is the largest restriction in the oil system (oil pressure will drop as the filter "clogs" but readings before the oil filter would never show the pressure drop). I measure both locations because I had an extra gauge and I wanted to compare oil filters. :bigthumb:

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
interesting dean.... i think i am going to try hooking up the guage inline after the filter and see what it says.

thanks for the replys guys

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
catch2nd said:
here is the deal.............

The car NEVER makes more then 45 psi of oil pressure, even if you drive it at 5k for a little while. I installed a new mechanical guage in the factory relocation to rule out the pressure gauge. I also did a test where i ran the car without the oil cooler and thermo, bascially just the relocation kit.

What do you guys think? I have about 8 pounds when hot at idle, and about 35 pounds at 3k, hita about 40-45 at 3.5k to 4k and never climbs any higher.

At start up the guage reads 50 psi, and if you get on it a little after the car has been running for 10 min it will climb towards 60psi by 4k

All comments are welcome....

-Dustin
^ You're fine. I getting the same psi readings as you when HOT except I'm just under 15 psi @ idle with 45+ psi @ 3k. Never goes over 50 psi hot but will hit 60 psi with cold oil. I'm using Mobil 1 10-30 with Toyota oil filters.

~ mike

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
catch2nd said:
Mike, is that using the stock oil cooler and relife valve?
^ Yes

EDIT, I think too much importance is being placed on our oil systems psi readings.
Toyota's specs are on the low side for idle, (min. of 4.3 psi IRRC) and way too vague for the hot of 36-70 psi @ 3k. < Just for comparison, both my Acura's specify a min. of 10 psi @ idle with a min. of 50 psi @ 3k with oil temp. of 176 F in the service manuals
I think it's more about the gpm (volume) than the psi on the 7m engine especially on the gte with the extra oil feed needed for the 6 oil squirters and the turbo bearing oil feed circuit.

~ mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand that... I have been brought up with large diesel engines, we have one truck with a cummins 390 big cam, makes about 25 psi screaming at 2.5k. Low pressure high volume.

I hooked my bigger cooler and thermo back up, the pressure is consistant and a little over 10 at idle, so I am just going to stop looking at the guage, I'll let you guys know if it blows up, lol

Thanks for the help

-Dustin

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
catch2nd said:
I understand that... I have been brought up with large diesel engines, we have one truck with a cummins 390 big cam, makes about 25 psi screaming at 2.5k. Low pressure high volume.

I hooked my bigger cooler and thermo back up, the pressure is consistant and a little over 10 at idle, so I am just going to stop looking at the guage, I'll let you guys know if it blows up, lol

Thanks for the help

-Dustin
You have to wonder how accurate the stock oil pressure gauge/ senders are. Electric oil sender feeding an electric pressure gauge in a mass produced part. If I removed my oil sender and gauge and installed it in your car, it would probably show different to what you had with yours? I show 15 psi @ idle hot and you show 10, but it might be the same using the same mechanical gauge on both our cars.
~ mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the numbers I posted are using a mechanical supro guage that i got at rice um pep boys.

that stock electirce was acting weird and is kind of a joke with the weird sweep that it has, i talked to my machine shop and he said those pressures sounded great

Mike, are you going to e-town in a month or so?

-Dustin

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
catch2nd said:

Mike, are you going to e-town in a month or so?

-Dustin
^I hope to, all depends if I get my car back together in time. I have the engine out & completely apart because the stock HG's metal ring split and messed up the iron @cyl 1 on the block. Block is at a shop being machined for a HKS MHG as well as the head. Car is up on 4 jack stands as I'm working on the front/rear suspension & brakes (4 new s/s hoses, rebuilding & painting calipers/torque plates "RED" (might have to switch to blue as I recently read on this forum that RED is "extremely gay" < LOL), new rear rotors, pads & all new hardware). Doing this while I'm waiting for the block & head. Repairing the engine wiring harness with new plastic wire connectors for fuel inj., cps, etc. from Toyota and replacing that "well done" black plastic shit wire covering that ran thru the intake manifold. Also dropped off my 5 spoke wheels to be refinished while car is down. Spending $$$ in new parts alone but " I love the car" (have to keep telling myself).
^SO.... I really don't know.

~ mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice.. if you ever need i hand with anything shoot me a p/m and i will give you my cell or s/n and we can get together

thanks for the link isnms

-Dustin

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
dont our check valves open at 45psi anyways? They will NOT let the pressure exceed 45lbs or so?

I have a brand new rebuild ( 6K miles on tap) brand new engine...everything is brand spanking new and i SPIKE 50lbs sometimes at WOT above 3000rpms....

but cruising around 2500rpms i hit around 40+ psi every day.

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts