Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I rebuilt my engine from rod knock. It was because I used the wrong standard bearings and was supplied with 1 size instead of ordering each of the 5 sizes stated in TSRM. I shimmed my oil pump spring with 10mm of washers about enough to fill the cap. I checked all the clearances and found them to be in spec with very little play and no axial or radial play. My oil drive shaft has all new bearings and spins free and easy. My oil pump spins free and easy and together its the same spins free and easy. I also shimmed my oil filter housing 10mm for the oil cooler lines. Now I have an 86.5 NA gauge cluster and Im using an i dont know what year of oil pressure sender, but I am reading exactly half of what I should be reading ie. at idle im reading just between the first and bottom tick, and at 3000rpm im reading between the first and second tick. This is when the oil is hot and the car completely warm.

I went to Toyota and they said that there were many different part numbers and I should use the oil pressure sender that went with that gauge. The car runs great I had every thing done to the bottom end the royal treatment.

I am wondering what you guys think about this I know the oil pump is high volume not high pressure and I always keep my oil full I check 2 times a day.

Thanks for any words

Dave

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Do not rely on the stock gauge for any type of reliable reading. Use an aftermarket (preferably mechanical) gauge. The stock gauge is "buffered" so that it is slow to respond and somewhat inaccurate. Based on the readings from the stock gauge though your pressure looks to be "OK".

FWIW: The whole "High Volume/Low Pressure" pump description is not accurate. The GTE pump is a higher volume pump at the same relative pressure as the GE pump. The "extra" volume is needed in the GTE for the additional "leaks" of the piston oil squirters and the turbo itself. Put a GTE pump in a GE and you see higher pressure because you have more volume with fewer "leaks". You are pushing "more volume" with the GTE pump into a "less leaking" space in the GE which raises pressure. Generally in a fixed system if you raise the volume you raise the pressure and vice versa.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dean I just have put probably a total of 5 gs into this motor and cant afford to do it again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts