Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short..putting my new engine (2JZGE na-t) together and got it almost ready to put back in the car. I realized that I did not install the 2 alignment dowels for the oil pump that go in between the pump and the block. I have everything on the engine and its ready to go in back in the car. Are these dowels necessary or will the bolts that hold it into place give it the proper alignment and hold it were it needs to be without the dowels?

I really don't want to pull the pans and front timing setup to re do the pump. :confused:

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They aren’t there to aid in assembly. They are there to keep the pump gears perfectly in line with the crank.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, kind of what I was fearing. Agree with doing it right now and instead of taking a chance. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just another question on sealing the oil pans back together. I usually clean the surfaces by scraping them with a blade and getting all of the sealant off. Then I'll spray some brake cleaner on them and wipe that off to get rid of any oil/ residue. I use the Toyota FIPG and assembly it all back together.

It always seems like the pans still leak a little. Anybody have some tips or tricks to make sure the pans seal better? If so, I'm all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Shouldn’t leak. I do the same process on customers Toyotas at work and they don’t leak.

·
From the land down under
4,122 Posts
I used FIPG between my lower pan and upper pans, in 2008, and still not a drop or any signs of seepage.

It may help to be super anal with the pattern and progressiveness that you apply when tightening up all of the nuts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, yep. I really didn't think there should be that much to getting it all sealed up properly. I'll try pattern and progressiveness also this time around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts