Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here.

2 weeks ago, I noticed there was a small oil leak from the RTV seal around my oil pump so I dropped the pan, pan girdle, reapplied RTV and put it all back together. Upon first startup, i noticed my oil pressure was really high at 125. I gave it a little throttle and monitored pressures but as I climbed in the rpm range, I quickly noticed I have a engine/drivetrain harmonics issue as well. Turned it off and checked the simple things. Fuel is good. Ignition is happening (I can’t promise you when the ignition is happening). This is all without putting it in gear. Before the oil pump reinstall, everything was smooth- no vibrations.
Is there anything about the oil pump that is dependent on timing? I can’t make sense of the vibrations or the high oil pressure. 2jz guru from out of town told me that it sounds like drivetrain and that my oil pressure sensor might just need to be recalibrated.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sounds odd, but did you remove the pulley? and the crank gear? did you install it correctly? is the T belt correctly installed? I'm assuming you also removed the crank sensor? did it get damaged? did you inspect the timing belt tensioner? there is no calibration of oil press sensor. never heard of that! turn the engine on, stand over the engine bay, be careful , wear goggles and gloves, with a bright light, look at all the components. The oil pump is driven by a couple of gears and a pressure spring with a ball in it, to regulate oil flow through the galleries. If anything was damaged , prior - you would never know , unless you pull it apart- also make sure all the surrounding bolts to the engine face plate from the oil bump assembly is tight , and nothing is loose- if any of the bolts are loose or bottomed out, it will shake the assembly - Of course check all this while the motor is at a stop :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
t
Sounds odd, but did you remove the pulley? and the crank gear? did you install it correctly? is the T belt correctly installed? I'm assuming you also removed the crank sensor? did it get damaged? did you inspect the timing belt tensioner? there is no calibration of oil press sensor. never heard of that! turn the engine on, stand over the engine bay, be careful , wear goggles and gloves, with a bright light, look at all the components. The oil pump is driven by a couple of gears and a pressure spring with a ball in it, to regulate oil flow through the galleries. If anything was damaged , prior - you would never know , unless you pull it apart- also make sure all the surrounding bolts to the engine face plate from the oil bump assembly is tight , and nothing is loose- if any of the bolts are loose or bottomed out, it will shake the assembly - Of course check all this while the motor is at a stop :)
Thanks for the reply. This wild vibration arose all of a sudden after reinstalling the oil pump and it was definitely not happening before hand. Super damper pulley and crank gear (with all of its teeth) were reinstalled properly. Crank sensor was never removed. Tensioner is brand new from real street and tensioner pulley is brand new from titan. The oil pump is OEM brand new as well (and was primed upon initial installation) and only had 25 minutes of run time before I pulled it off to fix the leak. The oil pressure sensor is from titan as well so if I’m not mistaken, I think it can be recalibrated. Running a haltech 2000 btw. I will go back through and check all the bolts and reinspect the timing belt to make sure it’s not abnormally loose anywhere. Someone also suggested to check the vvti cam gear and make sure it wasnt seized. Thanks again and let me know if that sponsors any more ideas/suggestions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not pull the motor for this. It’s in a custom Tacoma. Intercooler and radiator are the only thing in front of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts