Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bit of history,

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my 2j.

I've read all the issues regarding big revs and the problems associated with the front main seal due to the relief valve on the oil pump being limited in it's flow capacity, thus I'd like to do something about the problem prior to re-assembly of the engine

I've had a good look at the oil pump assembly and I can see where a few improvements can be made with a die grinder, but it looks to be pretty limited due to the amount of material that's available for removal.

So....

Who out there has actually modified this thing and what are your results and thoughts on this?

At what rev range does the front main seal failure seem to happen? 8000, 8500?

I plan to rev to atleast 8500rpm.

I do know about the twin spring custom front main seal but surely this isn't the only sollution to the problem?

Thanks in advance for any replies or comments.

Cheers

Jon

D

·
0 Posts
Jon,

No results to share just yet but we modified two new pumps recently before they were installed, carefully boring out the relief hole.... Once I see how they behave after getting tuned, I'll gladly share some feedback, especially regarding the peak pressure readings once warmed up and run to 8k rpm.

It's going to be a while though before I have that data -- there's a lot of work yet to be done on those cars before they'll even be started, let alone tuned and run hard.

-David
'98 6Spd APU

·
Turbo LAX
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,

Thanks for the reply, That would be awesome if you could provide some feedback, let us (that is Supraforums) know how it goes.

I had a good chat with my old engine builder about it, and showed him the pump and his thoughts were, an oversize piston (the valve itself) could be used, but the benefit would probably be minimal for the effort involved - but any gain is a bonus right?

Excuse the shit house picture however here is a quick snap of an area that can be cleaned up (and has). I've also increased the outlet hole, however it's minimal.

Cheers

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts