Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've done some searching on here and can't get a straight answer I'm doing an engine build right now and about to purchase a stock or
Modified pump? Which is better? Why is it better? What's different. I have never had a problem with my fms on my car so I'm just looking for some insight

· Blood for Blood
9,923 Posts
I did the same search not to long ago... I found several straight answers but they are all opinion... no one can say for sure what is best.. a stock or mod oil pump. the reason my a FMS will blow out is known to be 1 of these 2 things... A failure of the oil pump to function due to blockage or many years of use... these pumps, both mod and stock due get old and will fail at a given lengeth of time.. many many miles. The other reason is bad or poor for a better word crank case ventilation, this is the most common problem. Now sometimes in those high mile MKIV's with a poor history of proper care both these issues will show their ugly face and drip marks at the same time.

For anyone to say one pump is better is an opinion. You may ask several people and get the same opinion and then base your purchase on this information.

I will not sit here and tell you what the difference in the MOD oil pump VS the OEM oil pump cause that information with pictures is on this forum in one of the many threads on this issue. Please do the search yourself for that information.

You can get the TRSM online and download it and it has a section to check an oil pump to make sure it still functions and is within factory spec. I would do that and re use your oil pump if it checks out ok or spend the cash if you want on a new pump, mod or OEM.

I know I did not give a direct answer on what is better the OEM or MOD oil pump. But my answer will only be my opinion. There is no fact showing one is far better than the other. the thread that shows the MOD oil pump and what is done to an OEM to make it a MOD has theory but not tested and proven fact.

If you pump is good now I would look at the price between the 2 and then look in the threads and see how many are saying that the MOD is better than the OEM in their motors.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it's about twice the price fir a modified pump so I'm considering just a stock one

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think im just gonna stick with a stock one as a member on here revs his to 10,000 and not having any problems

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gotcha sounds like a plan

· Registered
863 Posts
for what i have seen they only drill the whole a bit larger than stock for more flow and i think for that extra amout i would do that my self and save the extra cash. my 2 cent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.