Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
freshly built 1.5jz. i have to pull out to fix an oil leak on the pan. this morning i took off the cam covers, and notice the cams looked a little dry. the last time i started the car was 6 days ago, so i'm sure i am freaking out for no reason, but need to know for sure before i start it up again. there is no crazy wear on the cams, there is oil on tops of screws of cam caps, but before i put the covers on last time, i poured a quart of oil on each cam. this was about 90 miles and 20 hours of running the motor. is there a way to check if oil is making it to the head? how long would it take do burn the cams up with no oil getting to them? or just put it back together and let it go, this is normal for the car sitting for six days?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
There's a lot of metal/metal action in a head...if there was no oil it would be damaged pretty quickly. You could always try disconnecting the igniter and fuel relay, then crank the engine over with the cam covers off. It won't build a lot of pressure at cranking rpm but it will build enough to put oil up top and you'll see it...and likely make a mess :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts