Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to have oil residue, gunk, in the intake? I was taking my engine apart and saw that behind the butterfly of the throttle body and in the intake there was a gunk build up of oil. Is this normal or does something need to looked at?
thanks in advance,
Leon

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
I believe it is there due to the PCV system. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Clean it out with some Seafoam ;)

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
This is normal its called blow by, this is a result of a small oil leak normally due to your seals, The oil is then forced through your charge-air-system into your intake manifold. While the oil is in the intake manifold or plenum if you would like to call it, it is shuffled around if not induced into the engine and combustion chambers. The shuffled oil while under high boost pressure that is remaining in the plenum will be forced to stick to the inner walls of the plenum and the inside of the throttle body butter fly plate. Which in time with heat will start to harden and build up resulting in a residue in which you see. A aftermarket catch can help improve the problem but if the leak is over normal standards, replacing the seals would be the appropriate measure to correct the issue.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Then, Notrace81, is it safe to assume that when the car was new, it had no blow-by at all?
Or that having a bit of blow-by is not a problem and that is does not necessarily mean that seals are shot?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I'll just clean it out. An old friend of my told me i could use diesel to clean gunk...can I or should i just use a can degreaser?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts