Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, My car is a 1995 NA-T and I have a turbonetics T66 journal bearing turbo. I am using a -4 feed line. I know a ton of oil flow the line even at idle ( don't ask how, lol) do you guys think I should use an oil restrictor? I don't want to blow the turbo seal due to excessive oil pressure. Thanks

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Yes or go down to a -3 and make sure you have a clear return line with as much drop as possible.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
No. You are going to cook a journal bearing turbo if you put a restrictor on it. If you are worried, put on a bigger drain line.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Make sure your PCV system is working (not just on a breather system) and you have a quality air filter.

-4 line is fine.

-10 is fine too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread back up but It's ether that or start a new one. I spun a rod bearing a couple weeks ago so I rebuilt it and put it back in and within a few days my turbo went out. I disconnected my oil line to test how much oil it was getting and it was getting an incredible amount of oil. I'm thinking that the loss of oil might have had something to do with the #1 rod bearing going out.

I hear a lot of people saying to not use a restrictor but if you had to use one how large of hole would you run? FYI I get the oil strait from the filter.

1,442 Posts
I never used a restrictor for any of my journal bearing turbos. They like the oil. Only when I began using a ball bearing turbo is when the restrictor was needed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there any fear that too much oil is circumventing the engine and that is why I spun a bearing? And is the # 1 rod bearing the last rod to receive oil? I didn't think to check that when I rebuilt the engine.

1,442 Posts
I personally never heard of that before. The engine still has the same amount of oil in it, just some of it is getting recirculated through your turbo but it ends up back in the pan. I run a -4 feed line on my journal bearing with no restrictor and never had an issue.
There are other scenarios that would cause a spun bearing, reving the crap out of an engine is the most common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts