Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the driftmotion 67 kit thats going on my car. The oil return line on this kit will not work with my car, so I need some help. The kit comes w/ some fittings to re-route the line so it clears the manifold... but there isn't enough room to fit the fitting thru, clear the turbo elbow, and clear the mani as well. The best bet I can come up with now is to run it thru the manifold and wrap header wrap around the line, which I'm not a fan of doing. Any suggestions?

The fitting (not assembled correctly, this is when I first got it): This makes an S surve from turbo.

How its supposed to sit:

How it actually sits:

Notice I've even ground the edges off the fittings to squeeze every lil bit of clearance out of it:

I just can't get it to sit without having that gap in there... can't grind on the turbo or the mani either:

So the only thing I'm seeing right now that could work is to wrap the line with header wrap and feed it like this. I don't like half-assing stuff though, and certainly don't want to risk line failure. It actually touches both runners.

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,557 Posts
I had a hell of a time making an oil return line that fit, but I mix and matched my manifold and turbo.
Is yours all part of a kit thats meant to work together? If so it should fit. If not, then you'll have to build something that will. I ended up using a 45 degree 1/2 NPT to -10 AN fitting and then just a straight hose end on that and braided line to get past the manifold and turbo... tight fit though.
And it looks like your compressor housing elbow is realllly close to your frame rail, I'd be concerned about that hitting when the engine moves while driving.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is supposed to all fit together, and Ive seen pics of a 61 work with it, but thats a bit smaller than a 67. Ive tried using a straight, 45, and 90* an fitting and unless I go straight thru the mani w/ the straight fitting, the other 2 won't clear b/t the mani and housing.

The engine has solid mounts, so Im not worried about it hitting... there is only about 1/2'' of wiggle room b/t hitting the mani and where its at right now.

·
TOASTY!
737 Posts
did you try clocking your turbo compressor cover to make things fit? do not run that line through the manifold runners, it will melt the rubber hose inside the stainless steel and then you will have a whole mess of problems. just keep messing around until you get it right. right? right!

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive clocked the CHRA and the compressor. I can't do the chra anymore than it already is, and I don't have much room to clock the housing- if I go 1/2'' the other way Im resting on the mani, and if I go more the other way Im up against the strut tower even more.

I was afraid of it melting the inside of the hose, even w/ header wrap around it. Im not sure of the hose brand, but most have 300-350*F max temp for fluids in them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats the same way i had to run mine, i actually was able to wrap the header and the line, and squeeze it through, It seems to be working fine so far, though no road time yet... I hope it works.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you can see, it is what it is. Im prob going to cut the nut off the one side and just weld the 2 pipes together. This is a HUGE pain in the ass because I've been trying to get the car going asap

·
4,557 Posts
I feel your pain, I was in the same situation and made a thread about it not long ago. I had to go back and forth with a lot of things and it was frustrating.

I was told that welds would have a high rate of failure there because of the heat and vibration...
Have you thought about doing a 45 degree 1/2 NPT to -10 AN adapter like in this pic? This is the setup I ended up using. I used a straight hose end like in the picture and just have the hose bending back toward the engine, but the BL setup uses a 45 degree hose end to turn the hose down that way.
You could do a 90 if you really had to but I dont know if that might result in more of a restriction...

·
No Longer that n/a 1j guy
571 Posts
I had similar trouble with my drain. this is how I got passed it.....

90* off the turbo facing the #6 runner

Running around the whole manifold and down to the drain

45* on the drain flange to the block....

Not once does the drain line have an upward angle to it. Constant downward flow.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I clocked the chra even more, its at an angle I'm unsure of...the fitting comes off the turbo, goes to a 90*, then to another 90*. The fitting actually goes UP some. Do you think this will cause significant issues, or should be ok to run?

UP

·
4,557 Posts
up isn't good... it looks like you're working with a flange that has male threads on it... what I used was a flange that had female threads on it, then I used the adapter fitting pictured above... I think it makes for a tighter package. what you've got now isn't the way i'd go so you'll have to keep trying, either with something similar or totally resetting and doing something more along the lines of what i did.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, didn't think that'd be the way to go, but I thought its worth a shot to post anyway, lots more ppl who know tons more than me. Im prob going to get the grinder out and see what that will do... or look around to see if I can find a spacer to set the turbo up .25-.5''

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im going to just make a small spacer to get this damn thing on, so I start mocking things up only to find my damn gasket is ass-backwards!!! I can't seem to catch a break on this 'PLUG AND PLAY' kit.

Divided holes match up, bolt holes don't

Uhh...... wtf!

I know its an 'affordable' kit, but seriously...

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i had issue's doing the single on my 1jz back in the day.i ended up putting a spacer under the turbo to raise it up a bit(1").that gave me more clearance for my drain.
i also had issue's with my 2j single.i ended up making a drain from a couple of stock drain's that worked out great.
you can see the clearance issue's with this manifold

you can see it comming down from the turbo,chra is straight up and down

·
TOASTY!
737 Posts
Im going to just make a small spacer to get this damn thing on, so I start mocking things up only to find my damn gasket is ass-backwards!!! I can't seem to catch a break on this 'PLUG AND PLAY' kit.

Divided holes match up, bolt holes don't

Uhh...... wtf!

I know its an 'affordable' kit, but seriously...
LOL @ that shitty gasket.

DO NOT USE that type of gasket. USE a METAL or COPPER gasket. Those paper gaskets will leak. ebay is your friend. Got my divided copper gasket for $10 shipped.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you loosen the bolts around the turbine/compressor housings the center can be pointed in any direction you choose right?

I am drunk tho.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts