Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have the 3 pieces needed to replace the 1JZ oilsender with a 7M one. I can't find the link that described the swap... I searched the lists' archives, MKIV.com, and here...

Basically, I thought it was a mod that the MKIV guys did to use an oil sender from a Lexus, etc, etc...

Just wanna make sure that I have that exploded view/diagram that was in that link. Has anyone already done this on their 1JZ? Tips, tricks, advice? TIA

S

·
0 Posts
u have to take out the 1jz oil filter housing , but before that where the oil filter goes there is a nut 30mm loosin it nthen take out the oil filter housing replace the union bolt with the lexus one u should of bought an o ring and washer. the 7m sensor wont fit cuz its to big the cooler lines from the oil filter housing will be in the way unless u move the lines which will include movin the oil filter front housing which i dont recommand it. u should of bought the lexus oil sensor. buti also had to cut the sensor to fit it as it was very tight spot

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically, I still can't just swap in the 7M sender without some other mods to the oil cooler lines? I thought that this was the way to do it, so that everything would fit "like stock." I knew it would be a tight fit, but if I understand what you're saying, I still won't be able to just replace the union bolt and sender, without some other work to the lines, to make it fit...

hmmm,
Maybe I should rethink this....

·
Impractical
234 Posts
Here's the link:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/oil_sensor_mod/index.html

It'll fit. The problem is that the location for the pressure sender is a very tight spot. The mk4 one fits without a problem, but in order to fit the big bell-shaped 7M unit, you need to purchase a fitting (not sure the exact size) to angle the pressure sender out of the way.

I've got the necessary parts, but I haven't done the mod yet myself. Maybe someone else could chime in with the size of the fitting that will work?

S

·
0 Posts
if ur goin with the lexus mod u can buy other hoses to rerout the waterlines from the oil filter housing it will fit a little better!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not wanting to do the mod now... already paid ~$25 for the 3 parts needed and would have to buy and replace lines too....

Doesn't sound like a good deal when other guys are able to get a ~$3 fitting from Home Depot to do the same thing...

I'll probably look for that fitting this weekend... anyone got a pic, part number, etc, etc? THANX

·
A Supra: PRICELESS
436 Posts
For what I understand, it's a 1/8 npt metric elbow needed to do the oil sender mod but a member from [email protected] got a 10 mm fine thread bolt from Home Depot b/c the metric elbow din not thread into the bolt nor the sender (it would turn 3/4 of the turn before getting hung up) while the one from Home Depot would screw all the way in w/o any binding. HTH. :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The thread of the union bolt is 1/8" BSPT (British Standard). So you will need a 1/8" BSPT to 1/8" NPT adapter.

Autometer #2269

Available from Champion Toyota:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I drilled and tapped my stock union bolt and used the correct fittings w/90 degree elbow for the 7m sending unit. Works great!

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
im trying to do this mod myself because the fat 7M pressure sender does NOT screw right into the Lexus/MKIV tt oil filter hsng bolt. there are ribs on the oil filter housing that get in the way. it either needs a narrow/skinny oil pressure sender w/ the 1/8" BSPT or a 90* "Street elbow" w/ 1/8" BSPT male and female threads. i bought a 90* "Street" elbow w/ 1/8" NPT threads and the pressure sender threads into the female side and is very lose, but the 1/8" male NPT threads only turn in about 1/2 or 3/4 turn before hanging up, like mentioned before.

so, there are 2 choices;

Narrow diameter oil pressure sending unit compatible w/ the 7M guage and 1/8" BSPT

or

45* or 90* male/female elbow w/ 1/8" BSPT.

is there a narrow diameter oil pressure sending unit that i can use for this w/ the 1/8" BSPT? or will i have to go w/ an adaptor?

·
Registered
582 Posts
anybody have good pictures of this mod? i've got the parts ready to do the mod, just never got around to it. i dont' even know if i have the 7m oil sender unit anymore or if my 1jz harness has a plug for it...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
hmm, yea good point. it would suck if i have to pull apart harness and remove the oil pressure wire and splice it into the 1J harness.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
I know this is old, but in response to flubyux, i do believe that you can just splice the 7M oil pressure sender connector onto the wire used for hte oil level sensor and it will work fine as long as you did the dash wiring correct in the jumper.

Trev

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
yep just use the oil level wire its already there

should be white with a black stripe, basically the one you arent using now...

·
Registered
288 Posts
There may be another way. I saw a post of a guy who hooked a sensor directly up to the oil pump.

If you look at the pump on the side, there is a 10mm hex plug. This is on the output side of the pump. I am going to put an adapter there, attach a braided hose and adapters for them, and attach the sensor to that. The hose will route the oil from behind the ac compressor and the sensor can attach just below the oil filter mount, on a spare mount hole. This will keep the hose below all of the interference and avoid taking apart the oil filter housing.

I may have some pics soon if anyone is interested.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
keep us posted for sure,i wired the oil level wire to my gage.it definatly works,i just didn't have the right fitting so it leaked.i had a mechanical oil presure under the hood,they both read the same.now i have none,not to happy about that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts