Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OIL Shooting out of My exhaust !!! *UPDATED PLEASE READ*

OK guys I really need to know whats your take on this, every morning when I go to start my car its ideling really rough and its shooting oil out of the muffler. My best guess is that oil is sitting in the turbo and slowly leaking through over night and than getting shot out the exhaust the next morning. considering it ONLY does this in the morning. Also I think the rough ideling is some bugs I have no kinked out with my new SDS standalone. Yet anyways here is a list of mods to my car :

1) KN intake
2) complete exhaust downpipe 2.5 STRAIGHT pipe and muffler
3) SDS standalone
4) eibach lowering springs / tokico struts
5) DNA boost controller "completely closed"
6) Copper head gasket, arp bolts

Ok what you guys think??

*UPDATE*

OK this may make me look really silly yet I am going ti post it anyways. I ask one of my friends to take a look and tell me what he thinks. He says that oi can not leak out of exhaust, he says if it got into the exhaust system it would just come out in blue smoke is this true? It would make sense since the exhaust system is soo hot. So he says I am running really rich and I could just be blowing carbon out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, im thinking you've got either a turbo oil leak, or ur valve seals arent sitting good at all, then ur cylinders get some oil in em, and when u start up, that could cause the roughness and all that... it would be a good idea to check that out with a mechanic.... thats a pretty big problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IF it helps 1 week ago i was checked out with good compressio and they tested the turbo and they said it was in good shape. No i have not checked the oil lines where are they located ? I am not too mechanically inclined.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry one other thing I used my sds standalone to tune my AFR at 500 750 and 1000 revs. I pretty much rain it more lean so itd be hitting the afr ratio of about 12 to 1 . Now this is ONLY a problem when I start cold, the previous owner put a questionable thermostat on that always mucked with my idoling a little bit but never this much. I really dont think I have oil leaking into the cylinders since this car was at a mechanic/performance shop for the last 3 weeks and they pretty much looked in and out all around my car. anything real obvious like that I am sure they would catch. I just had to replace all my gaskets throughout my exhaust system, I really think tis a seal. Youd be SUPRISED how much jus having faulty seals and gaskets can cost a poor black man who just wants a fast supra :(

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Nick i already told you what you need to do. Let the car sit over night and in the morning or whenever the next day before starting the car, take off the turbo elbow and accordian hose and check for oil puddles inside the turbo housing. Also check for shaftplay on the turbo.

Believe it or not, not all mechanics know what they're doing and for the 15-30 minutes that it will take you to check these things, it will be well worth your time and put you further on track to a conclusion to your problem.

Not to mention, a leak in the turbo oil lines wouldn't cause any of these problems directly. Indirectly if you were not being supplied oil to the turbo because of a very bad leak at the feed line then the seals may get dried up and go bad. But, the leak at the line itself wouldn't cause oil to be getting into your exhaust. No oil to the turbo probably would have caused it to sieze by now.

Just check what i've told you and see where you're at. And not to mention, this won't make you any more poor as you can easily do it yourself. Depending on your hose clamps, you'll need a flathead screw driver, pair of plyers, 10mm and 14mm sockets for 3/8 drive ratchet (6 inch extension may make things easier) and you should be golden.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info , my friend has a hoist but hes out of town until tuesday. Think its safe to drive until than. Other than the leaking oil, and the rough start ups "which i think i fixed" there is no other problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most definetly aside from that I am only running 5lbs of boost " on the rare times i do engage the turbo ". I really hope this car can last until i can fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*UPDATE*

OK this may make me look really silly yet I am going ti post it anyways. I ask one of my friends to take a look and tell me what he thinks. He says that oi can not leak out of exhaust, he says if it got into the exhaust system it would just come out in blue smoke is this true? It would make sense since the exhaust system is soo hot. So he says I am running really rich and I could just be blowing carbon out of the exhaust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your friend is right, but only if your exhaust is really hot after a night standing.
Doubt it, very much even.

Just do what was told earlier. It will defenately stop you from guessing, and you wil know some what more about what might be the problem.

The only way to find out what is wrong , is by eliminating all the possibilitys that might cause the probs.
And the only way to do that, is to do what was said above. /\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ow btw, there is al simple way of testing wether or not its carbon or oil blowing out of your exhaust.

Smelling and tasting it. (I prefer smelling before tasting :stickpoke )

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i shot oil out of my exhaust once... that was when upgraded ct like number 4 died... thrust washer and the thrust collar decided they didnt want to play together anymore, then came about a quart of oil into my exhaust. fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Juhanis said:
i shot oil out of my exhaust once... that was when upgraded ct like number 4 died... thrust washer and the thrust collar decided they didnt want to play together anymore, then came about a quart of oil into my exhaust. fun!
I feel ya.

Had the same thing happend to me, just fixed the oil feed line seal on the turbo, when it put a quart of oil into my exhaust to. Allmost killed my engine to :sadwavey:

Fun factor was how ever, it happend while I was driving through a tunnel.
Instand mist :bigthumb: (couldn't see the lights of the car behind me anymore. before I was wundering why they cept so much distance, 2 scnds later I know :wtflol: )

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i now use that upgraded ct as a paperweight on my work bench. the big cloud of smoke sounds about the same as what happened to mine. mine blew indoors though, during a dyno run :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok well I am leaking oil I know that by the oil stains on my garage floor.... Also when i look at the material in the exhaustpipe seams like it builds up near the end and it doesnt look like oil it looks like more of a powder. Yet once it hits the garage floor it looks like a oil stain. I am starting to think this is just carbon, since i am runnign really rich <----- having troubles tuning his sds.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
if it still spools quietly, makes normal boost, and doesnt burn excessive amounts of oil, you should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had my compression checked at normal, and why would you bet a bad piston? What leads you to think that if whats getting blown out is carbon.

Also you said if my turbo spools up quietly than its ok. Well it doesnt it makes a noise I cant describe it. There is the psssssh sound once it engages and the the sound of the bov when you put in the clutch. On top of that their is this sound it sounds like a metal fan spooling up I cant describe it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would still remove the pipes said above, just to be safe.

Better safe than sorry, 'cause sorry you will be when it turns out to be the turbo that is failing, and you weren't on time to prevent ferther damage.

(I was to late and need to have 1 barring fixed, bare in mind the engine had just been rebuild when my turbo blew).

It takes 30 minutes of your time, but my prevent any unneccesary damage.

Ow don't forget that if you treat your supra with lazyness, it 'll turn around and hit you right back in the face.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts