Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I changed my oil last night and could smell e85 in the oil. Could this be a problem?? I know when you run e85 you need bigger injectors to flow more fuel. I have heard that running to rich could cause this to happen.What do you guys think?

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Well there are a few ways gas can get into the oil.
I would first start to think about the head gasket or the piston rings... I would do a compression test to see whats going on.

Just know that fuel thins the oil out too much and thus the oil can not lubricate properly so I would change your oil and filter soon and not drive the car or risk damage to the motor maybe possible crank walk.

I would also take a look at your fuel pressure regulator... this can be causing your problem. The regulator may have a ruptured diaphragm allowing the raw fuel to leak into the intake manifold as well. Maybe the regulator is not made or set up for E85? I would also look at the “O” rings around the fuel injectors they might not be the correct ones for E85 and they might be leaking fuel as well.

My first course of action would be the fuel pressure test as well as a compression test to narrow things down. This is just off the top of my head. I want to run E85 but right now I am not going to build a fuel system for it. So I am trying my best to think E85 for you, lol.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was running mobil 1 10w 30 but just changed my oil to mobil 1 5w 40 turbo diesel. My friend (boostin86) is using this stuff and its supposed to work well for e85 and not break down as much.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Well there are a few ways gas can get into the oil.
I would first start to think about the head gasket or the piston rings... I would do a compression test to see whats going on.

Just know that fuel thins the oil out too much and thus the oil can not lubricate properly so I would change your oil and filter soon and not drive the car or risk damage to the motor maybe possible crank walk.

I would also take a look at your fuel pressure regulator... this can be causing your problem. The regulator may have a ruptured diaphragm allowing the raw fuel to leak into the intake manifold as well. Maybe the regulator is not made or set up for E85? I would also look at the “O” rings around the fuel injectors they might not be the correct ones for E85 and they might be leaking fuel as well.

My first course of action would be the fuel pressure test as well as a compression test to narrow things down. This is just off the top of my head. I want to run E85 but right now I am not going to build a fuel system for it. So I am trying my best to think E85 for you, lol.
You think it could be from cranking the car? My car has been having trouble starting and it takes several cranks before it lights up. Its getting colder and I need to get my coldstart setup from sp. I don't think it could be the headgasket or rings since my car has 19k miles on it. I will look into doing that though.

·
Goes Vroom Pshh now
2,772 Posts
isnt there more fuel being shot into the car than regualr premium gas?

more gas=leaking into cylinders slowly. i read something aboot that here.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i am running rotella diesel oil for its higher additive content. the smell in the oil is normal from what i have learned. i spoke with andy from dynotune is SD he does a lot of e85 tunes in all sorts of cars he said the smell is normal and to just change oil a bit more often

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
depending on your tune also you could be in a scenario where you're not getting complete burn of the E85, I run e85 every day and have put thousands of miles on it on e85 and this doesn't happen to me. I do however run a 15-50 mobil 1...

I'm not sure I'd worry about it unless you notice the oil is breaking down, if you keep your oil changes to a good 2-3000 miles you should be fine.

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,893 Posts
Run Brad Penn oil. There are a lot of guys running it and I think it's better than the mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil. I think if the car is not starting right up then that is your issue.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome guys this is great news to hear. I look into so,e of the oil brands you guys have mentioned.

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,893 Posts
Just keep an eye on it too much fuel in the oil can cause you to spin a bearing. If your oil seems saturated with fuel make sure you get the eigine up to full tempatature so the fuel boils off before you get on it, or better yet change the oil.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
i am running rotella diesel oil for its higher additive content. the smell in the oil is normal from what i have learned. i spoke with andy from dynotune is SD he does a lot of e85 tunes in all sorts of cars he said the smell is normal and to just change oil a bit more often

I have found this to be true also. When I first started running E-85 with non diesel type oil, I would slight E-85 fuel smell in the oil. I used to change the oil back then every 500 miles as I hated the fact that it smelled like e-85 after that many miles. I also run Rotella 5-40syn and I now take the oil change intervals to 1500 miles with no e-85 odor.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have found this to be true also. When I first started running E-85 with non diesel type oil, I would slight E-85 fuel smell in the oil. I used to change the oil back then every 500 miles as I hated the fact that it smelled like e-85 after that many miles. I also run Rotella 5-40syn and I now take the oil change intervals to 1500 miles with no e-85 odor.

Lawrence
I will probably give the rotella a try for the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just keep an eye on it too much fuel in the oil can cause you to spin a bearing. If your oil seems saturated with fuel make sure you get the eigine up to full tempatature so the fuel boils off before you get on it, or better yet change the oil.
cool thanks for the help :) I will do this for sure.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wanted to switch to that diesel oil too but I am just nervous about switching from 10w30 to 5w40. Shouldn't us guys still running stock motors use the recommended weight of oil?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hey guys I changed my oil last night and could smell e85 in the oil. Could this be a problem?? I know when you run e85 you need bigger injectors to flow more fuel. I have heard that running to rich could cause this to happen.What do you guys think?

That doesn't sound good.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
The Rotella.. i only found the 15w30 or heavier weight, is that ok for non E85 user? i was hoping to fing 5w30 or 10w30

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
i ran e85 ALL the time on my stock motor, i changed my oil every 8-900 miles but i beat the cock out of my stock motor every chance i got. i used royal purple 20w50...i still use it till this day, i have a lot of friends that use rotella and haven't had any problems.

Ben Y

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
any info on weight?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
To be honest, Ive run Delo 15w-40 without issues also. I get my Rotella 5w-40 from walmart. I think its around $19 for a gallon. But my bearing clearances are not exactly stock though.

Lawrence

1 - 20 of 55 Posts