Supra Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Racing is Life.
1,063 Posts
I'm confused. Are you referring to the Goleby linked product? They a sportsman and racer version. I don't see Become referenced anywhere on their listing, which is why I'm asking. The names are exactly the same.

I appreciate it. I think I'll just grab the Sportsman if it's the right way to deal with the dropping pressure in braking and right hand corners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm confused. Are you referring to the Goleby linked product? They a sportsman and racer version. I don't see Become referenced anywhere on their listing, which is why I'm asking. The names are exactly the same.

I appreciate it. I think I'll just grab the Sportsman if it's the right way to deal with the dropping pressure in braking and right hand corners.
Sorry for the confusion dude. Yes, I'm referring to the Goleby's product. Goleby's distribute for Bexo Motors their 1jz/2jz windage/baffle products.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Titan has a deep sump that adds 1.5qt and has an extended pickup to reach into it: http://www.titanmotorsports.com/titan-motorsports-2jz-deep-sump-oil-pan.html

titan-motorsports-deep-sump-2jz-oil-pan-upgrade-kit-13 (1).jpg

Moroso has this video on trap doors:

This is a big, never-ending discussion on the S2000 forum. One very competitive NASA TT5 competitor on Hoosier A7s said no traps or racing pans are necessary if you simply maintain oil level on that car. The Titan extension would be closest to this conceptually and probably my choice if their were no ground clearance issues.

Most of the aftermarket setups for the S2000 are a simple baffle, either welded or bolted in. Canton makes a full baffled pan, Moroso makes a weld in baffle with 2 trap doors. No 2JZ alternative.

If you create a box around the pickup without any provision for oil passage in/out of the box, you could potentially start the pickup.

The oil has to get in the baffle to feed the pickup, but it should need to get out of the baffle. These traps are usually 1-way, put potential points of failure since they are moving parts.

I get FUEL starvation at 110mph long right-hander on NJMP Lightning roadcoarse, full throttle (separate topic!). I also get OIL starvation on heavy braking into T1,and a the carousel entry at Thunderbolt. I can see the oil pressure dip below 10psi for about 1 second during the low-speed tight turns (or heavy braking). I've been lucky that it's low load situations (decel or off throttle), and assuming that there is enough oil in the galleys and between bearing surfaces that the engine/turbo can sustain it briefly.

By creating a box around the pickup, perhaps with no flaps but a small entry/exit hole, that could limit the speed at which the oil exist the baffle. That's really where the $ and R&D would need to go.

I just don't trust reviews of systems out there from anyone; really needs to be from those who push these engines at the limits in a professional environment. Installing a sump baffle and stating "well, now my oil pressure doesn't drop when I hit the brakes hard on the highway that one time I tried it", isn't useful...
You are a brave soul. Other than maybe the Titan deep sump I can only think of one word: Accusump. If this were a dedicated race car a dry sump would be much better.

Radium has a secondary pump on their hanger to keep the sub-tank in the fuel tank full: http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Toyota-Supra-MKIV-P1304.aspx

Supra_Tank_Turning.png

However, for road racing wouldn't a surge tank be a better solution:

·
Racing is Life.
1,063 Posts
I'm not really liking how the Tomei is saying it fits a Supra then later it says he fits front sump only. Yeah. No thanks.

Update

Here is a reply from Greenline:
"Hi Jason,

Thanks for your enquiry. You are correct. As per the details in our listing, this item is only suitable for front sump 2JZGTE engines.
We have removed the item from our JZA80 listing to avoid further confusion.

Sorry we are unable to assist you in this regard.

Please let us know if you require further information or assistance.

Kind regards,

Jason
Greenline Motorsports"

·
Racing is Life.
1,063 Posts
Went ahead and got the baffle box from Bexo for the black car. It'll see AutoX and road course use. I didn't get the windage tray because 1) the factory sump looks pretty decent to me (the factory plate above the pickup) and because 2) the motor has to come out to do the windage tray.

I doubt I'll report back anytime soon on this one. But we'll see.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,178 Posts
^ How exactly will you do the baffle box with the engine still in the car? Seriously...I want to know if this is possible.

·
Game Over
1,200 Posts
^ How exactly will you do the baffle box with the engine still in the car? Seriously...I want to know if this is possible.
I've looked into swapping my Baffle box with Tomei's trap door version, but they didn't have a rear sump version. You'd have to drop the cross member if you want to leave the motor in the car because the pick-up will get in the way of removing the lower pan.

I'll post my findings in here too, since I plan to road race my Supra but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon

·
Racing is Life.
1,063 Posts
Just drop the subframe. Lift the motor from the top to suspend it, but not pull it, and remove subframe. Makes it a lot easier vs removing everything.

Could probably get the windage in there as well but honestly I'm le tired. Baffle box should do the trick for this car. I doubt I'll use R compound tires let alone slicks on it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A quick update for those not in the know but TOMEI have released the rear sump version of their baffle plates.

I only came across it as I'm having the front sump put on my Aristo (recommended by SRD Tuning here in the UK) and I wanted to do some reading on it (and also happened to find this thread).

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Where can one buy this in the US?

·
Racing is Life.
1,063 Posts
Dre I'm sure Dusty at MVP can get it, or the guys at RSP.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just got mine direct from Tomei! Quality product - thanks for keeping us updated

41 - 53 of 53 Posts