Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been brought up before but no searching blows. I can't find my manual either. About to do my first oil change on the sup. What weight oil should I use any brand better than the next? I use to use castrol on my RX-7. Filter doesn't matter I guess probably get a fram because I like the grip on the end.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know it's been brought up before but no searching blows. I can't find my manual either. About to do my first oil change on the sup. What weight oil should I use any brand better than the next? I use to use castrol on my RX-7. Filter doesn't matter I guess probably get a fram because I like the grip on the end.
This is a broad subject and there's no set answer to your question, sorry.

A lot of people use 5-30 or 10-30. Manual says 10-30 (I believe?). The brand is up to you and everyone will argue for their own brands, so no need to get into which one is "best" except for saying people have good things to say about Mobil1, Royal Purple, Redline, and AMSoil.

Bottom line is I think most everyone can agree that you're safe with most synthetics.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
On the valve cover is 5w30 stated but I personally went with 10W60 and since you are in FL it could also be ok for you with the warm weather there?!;)
But I use this heavy weight also because I have some JEs in and the piston slap at cold engine is quite noticable and I don´t want to have a too thin oil.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know thanks guys. One other thing I was thinking about. I've heard that if you have synthetic you can't switch back to regular. How do I know what the previous owner was using? Is that an urban legend?

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
It is potentially harmfull to switch from conventional to synthetic. I know there is a place to send samples of your old oil for analysis and they should be able to tell you if it's synthetic or not.

Also, don't use FRAM filters!!! They are pieces of shit. Saving yourself a few bucks on the filter could cost you a new engine. Mobil1 filters are good as well as the Toyota filters. Check this link out for more information...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Also check out this thread... http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295657&page=5

And in case you are wondering searching Supraforums is as easy as going to google and searching with the option "site:www.supraforums.com"

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I use Mobil 1 syth 10w-30 except during the coldest winter months 5w-30; last filter I got was the recommended Lexus alternate.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have always used fram filters in my turbo hondas with no problems but in a supra I wouldn't take the chance. it's probably just a marketing agreement but go on garrett's website and they recommend the use of FRAM oil filters with their turbos..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts