Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just CANT, for some damn reason, figuer out how to re-install my ECU.

I'm on the last few steps of getting my 1JZ running, figuring out where the random things go, and I cant remember nor figure out how the damn thing mounts behind the glove box. ARG!

Does anyone have pics of how its installed?

:scratch:

Thanks.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
power clips go tword the middle, sticker side down.. if i rember right and its the same as a 88 NA :(

that help? i got a pic i think but at work atm :(

·
2,275 Posts
When I had my 1jz the ecu just sat in the glove box, I never really tried to mount it, because I didn’t really use my glove box anyways.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheHeffNerr said:
power clips go tword the middle, sticker side down.. if i rember right and its the same as a 88 NA :(

that help? i got a pic i think but at work atm :(
So wait, it mounts like, Flat or somethin? Not say, on it's Side?

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Yup, it mounts flat like you would lay it on the table. Plugs go towards the passenger side. For the edge closes to you , put the tabs above the holes on the top of the glove box opening (so the ecu rests on the top edge of the opening). The edge furthest from you, on the drivers side, mounts to the bracket which sits kind of at a 45 degree angle.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
what, are you serious? the 1jz ecu mounts just like the 7M ecu mounts; horizontal with the plugs facing the passengersside of the car. the sticker side should go down. you have to put the 7M ecu mounting brackets on the 1jz ecu, otherwise it wont bolt into the LHD dash setup. even with the 7M mounting tabs, there is one corner of the ecu that doenst have a mating mounting point, so its only held in with like 3 screws, not 4.

you might have to put down that fat Spliff... youre starting to lose short-term memory ;) lol

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome, thanks, im gonna run back to the garage and get it in.

And flubyux2, ya, I'm serious lol
Sometimes even the most simple things are dificult for some people :p

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
keep in mind it wont fit until you take the 7m ecu brackets and put them on the 1jz ecu

I would suggest starting it though, before you get it all mounted. So if there is a problem it is easy to troubleshoot.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Brent to the Rescue! great pic... i always had trouble fitting the glove box liner with the Field's Style harness adaptor for the JZa70-to-MA70 chassis wiring (guage cluster, ac, tems, etc). there was a PILE of wires and such that wouldnt tuck up tight enough. anyone else find a way to get the harness to tuck up out of the way w/ the Field's style adaptor harness?

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
flubyux2 said:
Brent to the Rescue! great pic... i always had trouble fitting the glove box liner with the Field's Style harness adaptor for the JZa70-to-MA70 chassis wiring (guage cluster, ac, tems, etc). there was a PILE of wires and such that wouldnt tuck up tight enough. anyone else find a way to get the harness to tuck up out of the way w/ the Field's style adaptor harness?
Hello Fluby,
If you've ever seen the VPC/F-Con/GCC bundle, you wouldn't complain about the Field's harness. I had to cut the top of the glovebox to allow it room to exist. I remember a wiggle in the wrong place would cause the engine not to run. Piggybacks are a love-hate relationship, & why the AEM EMS was a dream come true. But I digress from the original thread's intent. I'd apologize, but rather than get mad, I figure you guys would prefer sparking another bowl. LOL.
:)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
lol... larry, you crack me up.

im glad i got into this after the evolution of the AEM EMS... the way i see it, its the only way to fly now.... even if i could get an steal on VPC/GCC or SAFC combo... or a MAFT, or MAP ecu (still no timing control) or Emanage ultimate (still lying to the stock ECU). im very wary of piggy backs and im not comfortable trying to lie to the stock ecu. sure it works... but its a risky proposition. after seeing the tuning issues of the VPC/GCC or SAFC combo, or not having the timing control w/ the original MAP ecu and MAFT... or just the simple fact of relying on stock ECU maps... ive decided that i need the EMS from the inception. ill crack a beer instead of sparking up a fat hog leg ;)

regards
chris

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
why are you not including the vpc in the list of piggy backs that dont control timing? Pretty sure it doesnt have timing maps, but then again ive never looked at what it taps into. Scaling is scaling, doesnt matter if you do it wiht a lex afm, safc or map ecu. I agree ems all the way in an ideal world. Unfortunetly my world is not ideal and all i want is to be able to scale my afm signal without the ridiculous timing maps I get because of it..

eh, zerocool, You sold your 1j and kept your 7m??? How come I thought you were 1jz advocate #1 how did you let her go?

Ang

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
good point ang. i didnt really think i had to say that the VPC/GCC or SAFC combo doesnt control timing... and that merely MENTIONING the VPC/GCC or SAFC combo would strike fear into the tuner's heart and i needn't point out its other flaws. lol... the hot start and tuning issues w/ the VPC setup is enough to keep me away, regardless of the non-tuneable timing. ;)

yes youre right... im not comfortable w/ scaling at all when it comes to moderate and high horsepower setups. the NEW map ecu and emanage ultimate are less of a problem than any of the other piggy backs since the now incorporate timing control... but again, still relying on the stock ECU for timing maps... so its not a cure for what ails ya.

1jz or not, Zerocools black MK3 is gorgeous. but, good question... why the change?

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MK3Brent said:

Awsome, its perfect, thank you.

Though while sitting in my garage playing with the brackets, I smelt some gas, turned a looked, and fuel was spilling out really bad from under the motor... WTF?

I dunno what happened, so ecu is still not in. Got bitched at by the Groundskeeper guy here about it, hes threatining to let the owner know about it and shit.

So I'm towing it to where I work (Ford dealer) and gonna clean up the garage, last thing I need is to get evicted cause of the car.

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
it mounts exactly like the 7m ecu, just use the 7m brackets and you'll be fine.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yeah, when im doing engine R&R, i like to take it One side of the time; look at the passengerside of the engine, and systematically look around carefully to make sure there is NOTHING im forgetting. once im sure i didnt forget anything lke a ground strap or PS pressure line, i move to the front of the engine. once im sure im not fogetting anything like engine oil cooler lines or AC compressor plugs, i move to the Driverside of the engine. once there, i make sure im not forgetting the starter cable, ground strap, fuel return and feed, etc.... its a great way and i usually catch anything i forget.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
I used to play a game with a fellow Supra owner on supraforums.

Every once in a while when we'd meet up at the local dragstrip... we'd try to find tools in each other's engine bay.

Record of tools found in his bay at one time: 5

The usual places too... in between the radiator, ABS solenoids, and valve covers.

:)

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
:lol: good game, prob find a few nuts and bolts that i droped some where in my car :/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts