Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive been working on this with my turbo guy for some time, and we finally have come up with a workable upgrade for the CT12A. After going through the CT12B wheels and shafts that the aussies and brits like, he determined that not only will the 12B wheels result in greatly increased lag, but the quill of the CT12B shaft where it mates to the compressor is signifigantly smaller then the 12A, and the bearing journals are smaller (one can only guess this is because the smaller turbo will reach higher rpms), and would not be a suitable upgrade. Finally a turbine wheel was located at a manufacter that had been made 5-7 years ago for another client that never got off the ground, it was an exact replica of the CT12A wheel but in steel, not ceramic. So these upgrades will have CT12A steel exhaust wheels, T3 60 trim compressors, with all new bearings and balanced to tighter then new specs, and should be good for 400-430 depending on supporting mods. Spool should stay stockish with increased durability at higher boost levels, because the turbine wont have to work as hard to make the same pressure with the larger wheel.

Now the downside. They arent cheap. They are signifigantly cheaper then any other alternative but at $841 per turbo its not cheap at all. I will have one pair for sale at my cost (during the time it took to find this upgrade i bought a set of HKS twins).

This is not a group buy, nor am i guaging interest, this is done and ready to be purchased.

Im not looking for criticism on the cost, thats just what it is, but if youre serious and want to upgrade the stock twins its now available.

Ryan

G

·
thats cool that it is possible, and i would personally love to have upgraded stock twins, but i would rather get a nice GT turbo for the same price

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you feel that you can get a GT turbo and manifold, IC pipes, downpipe etc for $1600 go for it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Per order, i just happen to have one pilot set that was meant for me, and that set is for sale.

This is now an upgrade option, forever and its repeatab;le which means if you blow these up for some reason, they can be rebuilt again and again, as long as your wallet allows.

Im waiting on any word of a rebuild warranty offered.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
im interested hopefully this can be a firm replacement for our stock twins!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is for the rebuild, using your cores. If you want to i can work a core exchange with you, as i have extra cores.

·
1jz 240sx
205 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
Per order, i just happen to have one pilot set that was meant for me, and that set is for sale.

This is now an upgrade option, forever and its repeatab;le which means if you blow these up for some reason, they can be rebuilt again and again, as long as your wallet allows.

Im waiting on any word of a rebuild warranty offered.
Gotta question. I've never have had any turbos rebuilt. Is this how much a turbo rebuild cost? If not, why does this cost what it does? Difficulty or availability? Reason I ask is not to bargain a price, but to get clarification. My single upgrade is going to cost me about 2800. This upgrade is 1600. I know I'm going to want more power, thus why I'm going single BUT, if this upgrade was cheaper, I would do this upgrade for now and hold off on the single a little longer. :bigthumb:

G

·
anorexicpoodle said:
If you feel that you can get a GT turbo and manifold, IC pipes, downpipe etc for $1600 go for it.
good point, but it can be done for close to that, if you go with a manifold adapter and not a full manifold

regardless i cant upgrade for a long time, and i will wait to see if the results of this

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dillusion13 said:
Gotta question. I've never have had any turbos rebuilt. Is this how much a turbo rebuild cost? If not, why does this cost what it does? Difficulty or availability? Reason I ask is not to bargain a price, but to get clarification. My single upgrade is going to cost me about 2800. This upgrade is 1600. I know I'm going to want more power, thus why I'm going single BUT, if this upgrade was cheaper, I would do this upgrade for now and hold off on the single a little longer. :bigthumb:
Well this is signifigantly more expensive then a standard rebuild for most turbos which is usually in the 450-500 range, however i am told that the sole reason for this is the outrageous cost of CT12 bearings and seals. The actual cost of the upgrade isnt terribly high ($180) the rest of the rebuild cost is just replacing the stock bearings, seals etc of the turbo.

Im not going to sell anything to you. If you want upgraded stock twins then you know where to find them. If you want a single and big peaky power, then go single, you will ultimately be happier because thats what you wanted from the start.

·
Registered
297 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
the CT12B wheels and shafts that the aussies and brits like
The upgraded twins we aussies and brits have dont use anything from the CT12B.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
adi said:
The upgraded twins we aussies and brits have dont use anything from the CT12B.
Hmm, when searching for the upgrade, my guy called a few shops in oz and they sent him CT12B turbine wheels. those were a poor solution, but since those specific shops recommended them i assumed that was the standard upgrade there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
nah i think the aussies use a variation of a starlet turbine..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not really. The stock housings wont allow much more. These are stock twins, so we are limited by the stock housings and bearing specs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts