Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i must be overlooking something, but i cant seem to find the filler plug on the tranny so i can change the fluid??

Any help would be shweeeeet!!

Josh

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Yep, just pull out the shifter stick and pour it in there. I believe 3.2 qts. I use redline mt90 and have used it for about 3 years and love it. also, if you are going to have the stick out....do yourself a favor and replace two cheap parts. Replace the white nylon bushing that fits onto the round fulcrum ball of the stick and replace the round gasket that sits down inside the hole that the stick pivots on. makes a HUGE difference in the feel. I am sure that right now...if you put your stick into 1st gear, you will be able to move the stick left to right quite a bit. if you replace those two items, your movement will be reduced to almost nothing. helps in shifting.

Trev

·
Registered
416 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
Yep, just pull out the shifter stick and pour it in there. I believe 3.2 qts. I use redline mt90 and have used it for about 3 years and love it. also, if you are going to have the stick out....do yourself a favor and replace two cheap parts. Replace the white nylon bushing that fits onto the round fulcrum ball of the stick and replace the round gasket that sits down inside the hole that the stick pivots on. makes a HUGE difference in the feel. I am sure that right now...if you put your stick into 1st gear, you will be able to move the stick left to right quite a bit. if you replace those two items, your movement will be reduced to almost nothing. helps in shifting.

Trev
Redline MT-90 is a GL3/GL4 fluid, the R154 requires a GL4/GL5 fluid. while MT-90 works it isnt recommended, its too thin. I used it and it worsened my synchro problem. Switching to a proper GL5 fluid made a world of difference.

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..

Got it all figured out.. Now im blowing allot of white smoke out the exhaust, this happened after my first test run.. OOOOH shitt!!!

Josh

·
Registered
929 Posts
according to the haynes manual it said the tranny requires 80w90 gear oil. and the way you should check for fluid level is to open the drain hole and feel where the fluid level is. it should be right up to the hole. it also says the way you should fill it is through the same hole with a syringe, which when you buy the oil, the bottle should be a big syringe.

is filling it through the shifter the same?

·
Registered
929 Posts
i wish i would've known this, i just put the shifter back on as well as the most of he interior parts back on. i was actually gonna try and do it how the books said but now that i've read this, i might take it all back out tomorrow.

D

·
0 Posts
ranger2339 said:
Well i must be overlooking something, but i cant seem to find the filler plug on the tranny so i can change the fluid??

Any help would be shweeeeet!!

Josh

Here is the fillerplug:

It's on the driver side of the car. Get a oil pump, and just pump it up there (Ps: this is on a R154 tranny)

Here you see the oil pump "hanging" from the filler plug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Old post but figured I'd add what I know....
GL5 oil is NOT recomended as it eats at the brass syncronizer rings. Just read the toyota shop manual. GL4 is recommended.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Now that all of the test runs have been done with mine, I am getting ready to empty/refill this weekend, if anyone wants any pics.

Anyone have a link to tranny fluid comparison sites? I plan to use the stuff that's available at the auto parts. Synthetics, or pricey fluid will be fine, as long as I know it's rated well and can get off the shelf. Not in for ordering/paying/waiting for other high-price stuff.... Daily street driven are my plans...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts