Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its back on the road, again 71 240Z w/ another 7M-GTE motor in it. "With Pictures"

Ok its back on the road. Maybe this is in the wrong category? Admin, let me know and I will move it if I can.

Got the car running last night bout 11:00pm. I used the head we only took .003 off of and Clifton had some stock Turbo Cams laying around. We cleaned up the journals that looked marginal with some emery cloth. I called Tim to see if he wanted to go for a spin and then I could return his Jeep, he was in bed watching a movie w/ Christina and wanted to stay there. So I went for a spin just looking to burn all the oil off of the exhaust and just overall feel it out. It felt great, except that it felt a little slower than it had before but now I have a much thicker head gasket and I put the timing at about 7 degrees and the book calls for 10. Epstien had run over to help me install the hood and was operating the timing light and very poorly I might add.

I stopped at the gas station and just cleaned my windows it still had grease on it from all the tools and car parts I had stacked on the cowl and windshield during the motor swap. The gas was only a week or so old, so I didnt need any. I got back on the freeway on a two lane entrance ramp next to a motor cycle and he was about a car length or two in front of me and I decided to get IN it all the way up the entrance ramp I saw him look over his right shoulder when I got into it and before you know it I was about 10-12 car lengths in front of him. I don't know about you but if Im riding a bike someone gets on an entrance ramp really hard next to me I get in it too just to see how it does. No matter what bike Im on, and he was on a pretty fast bike. Oh well maybe he was going home from the bar.

Got off at the next exit and it smells kinda smokey so I get out and pop the hood and bust out the under hood light and everything looks fine just a little smoke from all the greasy hands all over the exhaust and Turbo. I went under the bridge and got back on in the other direction. Got off and drove around lame old east Mesa on a Tuesday night, next thing you know I was trolling for a race, 2 separate guys in late model Cameros and a 3rd in a nice BMW would have none of it. And fortunately so, very near by I stumbled upon 3 different cops 3 separate times and they all tailed me for more than a mile each. I did my best to look mild mannered in my dirty t-shirt and managed to ditch all of them without incident.

Finally a guy in a really late model F body WS6 (Trans am, looked very nice) passed me the other direction and I was going slow and there was nobody on the road in all 4 directions so I flipped a bitch and chased him down he was stopped at the light next to an S-10 w/ a coffee can exhaust it was just the 3 of us in 2 lanes I was behind the F body. Light turned green and the TA left the light kinda spirited like the 4 cylinder S-10 was all excited cause now he had a reason to floor it. BWAAAAAAA, it was ridiculous, and painfully slow, whew 1/4 mile or so and now I had enough room to squeeze thru the gap and taunt the F body, I touched the brakes next to him knowing the S-10 dude should be content to watch, (Hell I would be!) and then got back in it with the R's kinda high and the boost kicks in good (just like the last 35 minutes of driving) I drop him fast but he's having none of it. I slow down next to him and do it again. Again NOTHING, bummer.

We get to the next light east bound on Mcdowell at Greenfield and there is no one in any direction and the S-10 turns right on red. Now we are all by ourselves for a full red I look over and wait for this guy to look at me and this guy to looks straight ahead I can see the cross traffic ped lights flash and we only have a few seconds to go. Finally he slowly looks over, I smile big and point forward twice quickly, he waits a second and then smiles and nods in the affirmative. I bump the R's and make sure we are even, and we are!

The light turns green and I hear some squealing, I never launch my car from a dead stop and with the drag radials so Ive never heard them make noise, Im not sure if this is me so I slow the rate that Im letting out the clutch. The squealing stops (musta been him) and now we are both moving, at the exact same rate I might add. Bout half way across the intersection we are dead even and my boost is building, by 3/4 across it feels like Ive got full boost and I take a peek over towards him and I was dropping him like he put on the brakes. I go for second and I catch it perfectly (I never bang gears, lucky shift) Im back in it and I can just barely hear him scratch second. I go for third just for good measure and he is a solid 3.5 to 4 car lengths back. Whoo Hooo, that was fun. now Im movin out pretty good for a surface street so I get on the brakes, he catches me and we match each other coasting down I look and he gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up, I return with a peace sign and a big smile. first Bona fied KILL in 10 years.

Now I gotta get out the wide band and the SAFC-II and make sure Im not going to hurt anything, before I do this to many more times.

Andy Z

Heres the photos, some you may have seen before

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
that is nothing short of wicked!
congrats on getting it all together. one mean ride!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
My gosh your car is SOOO sick! Seal of approval from me!

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Very very nice! Good story to go with it too. My friend has a similar Z in red, he is very jealous :) . Keep it up man :bigthumb: .

Dale

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
wow..... hot car. that whole setup just looks hot. love the cobra style front mount (yea i know on the cobra it was the rad but still) bout how long have you been working on this?

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
how difficult is it to put a 7m in a Z. Im sure there are some people that have made moutns and stuff for it, but id like to hear your side of the story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
awesome man... simply awesome... way better than the 302's some guys drop in the later model z's... and it fits so perfect and pretty ; )

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
Awesome job, lots of neat fabrication on that car. Couldn't wait very long to unwind that thing I see, that's a good story though.

Here's another Supra owner from Australia that built a twin turbo Z, pretty cool car too, well it was anyways!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1379&postcount=37

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1380&postcount=38

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1384&postcount=40

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1386&postcount=41

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Holy Crappin expensive-looking. Especially like the Rear subframe work, and the brakes. Nice.

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to lunch and, wow 84 hits in just over an hour.

Jewishjalopy
PHP:
how difficult is it to put a 7m in a Z. Im sure there are some people that have made moutns and stuff for it, but id like to hear your side of the story.
No problem it was cake, JK it was a lot of work really. I think I started in November 04 some time. I left for Christmas for 18 days or I probably would have finished it sooner, but I think I started investing 100% of my free time around the beginning of February. Im sure it could be done faster but Im kinda picky. And I have a wife (which ROCKS) and 2 kids (that rock 2), I must include that I wouldnt have even considered this mod if I hadnt seen Clifton do it first. He knows a crapload about this motor and even more about Turbocharging in general. He has turboed more vehicles from scratch than anyone I know. And he came over to my house and helped countless times. I have known him for like 16 years so I dont think he would stop on over and help anyone else as often as he helped me.
Thanks goes to Clifton.

Here is a small list of the things I had to make
motor mounts
tranmission mounts
Turbo adapter
Waste gate plumbing
Complete stainless exhaust
re do the inlet and outlet on my IC
Plumb the IC and pre turbo plumbing
mount IC
modify fuel tank
modify fuel line plumbing
install Supra Fuel filter & custom bracket
modify shifter
modify speedo cable outlet
modify clutch hardlines
install Tach guts in Z Tach
fabricate custom Rad fan to clear IC plumbing
Mount ECU
punch hole in fire wall for ECU
modify throttle cable
modify throttle pedal
remove a bunch of emissions crap from the 7M motor and harness
wire alternator
hook A/C controls and fuel pump signal to ECU
build oil pressure and return lines for t4 turbo
build H2O lines to and from turbo.

Thats just the stuff to install the 7mgte, there are countless other Z specific things I did from suspension to A/C to brakes and gauges.

If you get a Z you gotta have a 7M-GTE in I will be glad to point you in the right direction. But I cant promise I will stop over and roll around under your car and help unless you live close, and even then Im not promising anything.

Im thinking about possibly producing a kit if there is enough interest. If you got a Z friend or love Z's yourself let me know and I can fab Motor mounts, Trans mounts, shifters, Driveshafts, Intercoolers and several other things to make this happen for you. Just let me know

Thanks again for all the kind words, I will post dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times as soon as I have them.

AZ

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
looking good! I love it! for sometime a buddy and i were thinking of dropping in a 1jz motor in one but he decided not to and buy his wife a mk3 that he is currently building!

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh Rajunz
that last link made me sick to my stomach, I will make sure to take it easy.

AZ

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
you = savage Good call on a dope swap. way to break an engnie by beating dumbestics. lol

~scott

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rings are old, most of the other stuff is new. I dont know how I will ever break in a new motor in one of these. It will just kill me to go slow in it.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
2fiddyz said:
The rings are old, most of the other stuff is new. I dont know how I will ever break in a new motor in one of these. It will just kill me to go slow in it.
No doubt, it'll be hard to keep a license every time you get in that machine!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I think hes using a sp61?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts