Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the first day I got to drive my supra with its brand new short block. NEW MOTOR...what a great feeling it was to be driving a 94 TT with 20 miles on it (yes 20 not 20k).:) :)

Then, I start to notice a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I pop the hood (I'm at about 50 miles now) and see that my brand new HKS SSBOV is spitting oil out.:mad: :mad:!!!
F(*ken Christ. I'm guessing this means the turbos are shot??? Sure, I can afford to go single:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm completely broke after that whole short block/clutch ordeal...parts/labor.

Question:
What are my options?
--Can I still drive my car in this condition? (Smoking quite bad)
--What's the cheapest fix. (Cost of new twins w/labor)
---------------CAN NOT AFFORD TO GO SINGLE...hell, I can't afford to get used twins:(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. I know someone that wants to get rid of a set of used twins for cheap. Shoot me an e-mail.. [email protected]

-Aaron

supra6spd said:
Today is the first day I got to drive my supra with its brand new short block. NEW MOTOR...what a great feeling it was to be driving a 94 TT with 20 miles on it (yes 20 not 20k).:) :)

Then, I start to notice a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I pop the hood (I'm at about 50 miles now) and see that my brand new HKS SSBOV is spitting oil out.:mad: :mad:!!!
F(*ken Christ. I'm guessing this means the turbos are shot??? Sure, I can afford to go single:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm completely broke after that whole short block/clutch ordeal...parts/labor.

Question:
What are my options?
--Can I still drive my car in this condition? (Smoking quite bad)
--What's the cheapest fix. (Cost of new twins w/labor)
---------------CAN NOT AFFORD TO GO SINGLE...hell, I can't afford to get used twins:(

B

·
0 Posts
The more you drive the more it is going to smoke. I stoped driving mine after about a day becuase it was smokeing so much and I was going to oil like crazy. Check out the Power house single that used MASS AIR and stock fuel. Or you can even run like a T78 with stock fuel and a Mass Air, just don't boost over about 1.1 bar. I know someone that ran like that for quite a while, it was fast as hell. Just get a S-AFC so you can bump the fuel up some.

Chris

94 Baltic Blue 6spd
HKS TO4R, that is all I remeber there is just about everything else on there too

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aaron,
Thanks...

I'd like to get as much input as possible on what to do hear, before I buy anything.

So, the T-78 w/ stock fuel and MAF will do the trick...
:) I believe this turbo (new) would out last a set of used twins?
:) It would look cool as hell.
:) They sky is the limit for future mods w/ the T-78.
:mad: COST!!!
:mad: One slip (boost spike/lean air-fuel) and boom! There goes a brand new short block.
:mad: Did I mention cost?!!!!!???

Used stock twins....
+Cost
+I allready have the gasket set for the twins that I never used from the short block transfer.
+Cost
+Can't blow the motor w/ those pea shooters.

- I'll have no idea what I'm buying... I don't mean to imply that people would try to sell me a "practically new set of used twins" that really have about 120k miles on them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll have a set that I'm pulling off my car in about 1 week. Off a 97 TT w 37k miles on it. Mobile 1 every 2500 miles yadda yadda....
$500 plus shipping, or you can pick them up, I live in Louisville Ky.
Email me at [email protected] if you want them or need more info.
Josh
PS
I'm going single, nothing wrong with the stock twins.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just got my new short block as well...:D
I'm going single myself... BUT my turbos are freshly rebuilt about 3k miles ago and work just lovely. Too bad with 120k on the rest of the motor a rod bearing went out. I'm taking my motor out this weekend so I can decide then if I'll sell the turbos then or what. I'm in Maryland though so not too far if you wanna go that route.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keller:
Let me know when they're off your car. Thanks...

theman:
Thanks, but I wanna stay away from rebuilt turbos. I've just heard too many negative things. Anyway, good luck going single. Do you race at Cecil County, MIR, or Maple Grove?

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other thing...

I know BalticSupraTT said he went through oil like crazy, BUT...if I keep an eye on the oil level is it OK to drive. Remember, this is a brand new short block and I don't want anything screwed up.:(

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would NOT drive the car, if you're passing oil through the engine, you will dirty it up a bit. Carbon, ash, etc... Yucky stuff for a new engine.

S

·
0 Posts
the question is... are you sure its the turbos... and if so...

what made the block need to be rebuilt in the first place??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts