Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was debating getting one until a buddy of mine said they were shitty. I know they are an older turbo but are they really that bad? for the price what else can you get? i was thinking of goin gt40r or gt42r which are obviously better, but the price of a t78 is pretty nice. I want the good the bad and the ugly. what are your guyes experiences with them?

·
FUCK JDM
3,932 Posts
your friend obviously is a fuckN idiot, they may be old but they still perform flawlessly..... many here still use them and put down 650-700+whp

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Great turbo and capable of 500whp on pump gas. They are also very reliable. Don't listen to your friend.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
T78 is a great turbo. Currently putting out 400rwkw (USA 625 rwhp) on 22 psi boost with 264 cams and mild porting.

Having said that, I'm upgrading shortly to a Turbonetics T72 in the quest for more power at the same boost.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
The Greddy T78 is still a nice turbo even compared to a new turbo of its size. Spools pretty well and puts down good power too.

Good luck on your purchase.

Take Care

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, thanx for the input. Yeah I couldn't believe it when he said it. he has a g35, if you were wondering. sorry i just haven't had much experience with them thats why I was wondering. I've always loved greddy/trust stuff. thanx I'll probably get it.

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
I've always wondered where people got the idea that greddy turbos were crappy. Compared to newer turbos they are not as good due to the older technology but still make good power as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
More important is your goal with the turbo kit. Fast street spool, go smaller. Good all around, nothing wrong with the T78. Monster power for the strip, then go bigger (+67). My only complaint is you need to use race gas if you want to run higher boost and get the most out of the T78, but that applies to all turbos I guess. I'd probably run something smaller if I did it over since I don't go to the track anymore. I don't get full spool until 4K rpms. 3.5K would be better on the street.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
I think the T78 is only a great turbo if you plan to run it at over 22 psi. I had one, and it really wasn't that great in terms of spool/power at 15 psi. I credit this mostly to running it so far out of it's efficiency range, but I'd definitely recommend it only if you plan to push it on a built fuel system. Otherwise, there are plenty of better choices nowadays IMHO. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Better choices? Let's see some dyno graphs in the same range turbo :)

Better design? Slightly maybe, but not as reliable IMO.

Oh, and Tommy Banh's T78 car put out over 800rwhp (IIRC?). Any other turbo near that size range do the same?

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Does he own one?.....no?....well then tell him to FUCK OFF! I LOVE my 78 and i wouldnt change it for ANYTHING! Completely streetable, not much lag and makes GREAT power!

·
Registered
453 Posts
97Tdawg said:
Does he own one?.....no?....well then tell him to FUCK OFF! I LOVE my 78 and i wouldnt change it for ANYTHING! Completely streetable, not much lag and makes GREAT power!
I agree :bigthumb: Im excited to get my aem tuned here in the next week or two so I can feel real power from my 78.

·
Banned
770 Posts
hardcharger said:
I'm glad to see such a following. I didn't know it was so popular
How can you take advise from a guy who owns a G35? T78 is a good turbo for the price you can't beat. Want more power? Get a T88 or even T88H. Who cares about lag, down shift and see who's slow now. :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a T78 with a .84 A/R exhaust side. I really like this turbo.
I am only running 21-24lbs of boost but I run it that way every
day and it makes good power on the street. There are many
good choices depending on your particular goals, but the T78
works for me.
Wayne

·
Greddy T78
393 Posts
My friend in Sweden just got his T78-33D setup with Fuel system and AEM.
Just got it mapped, and its really nice.

Im gonna aim for that setup when i go Single.
Nothing wrong with Greddy Turbo

·
always watching
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whobob said:
How can you take advise from a guy who owns a G35? T78 is a good turbo for the price you can't beat. Want more power? Get a T88 or even T88H. Who cares about lag, down shift and see who's slow now. :)
no don't get me wrong I wasn't asking advice. We were just BSing about turbos and he happened to say that t78's were stone aged and not good for street use cause of the lag (I hate that excuse about lag). anyways I figured I would ask cuz I see them all over the place for really good prices. thanx everyone for you input :bigthumb:

·
Registered
980 Posts
The vendors of the newly designed garrett wheels a few years back did a great job with the propaganda/smoke screen. They jumped up and down and screamed how these turbos were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and anything else was "old technology" that was grossly inferior.

A lot of consumers fell for it, hook, line, and sinker with no data to support the claims. They would come in this section and regurgitate all of the rhetoric the vendors spewed off and the hearsay became fact. You'd think the vendors would would jump at the chance to prove it in the spool characteristics thread, but no data was shown.

Bottom line is the difference from what I have seen is negligible. Of course if you put a small exh housing on a 67mm turbo it will spool faster than a T78, but the claim that it also makes more power has yet to be seen. From the dyno graphs I have seen of the newer turbos, the power seems to fall off on the top end (unlike the turbos with the larger exh housing) which is what would be expexcted.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts