Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try okada plasma direct coils yet the are suppose to be stronger and more powerful than HKS DLI????

look and sound like the way to go!!!

they aren't cheap though!

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Saw a review of these in Import Tuner (or was it DSport?). It was done on both a Supra TT 6-speed and a GDB-F WRX STI. It made SOME gains compared to the OEM coil packs but I believe the testing data was unclear sicne they were also running other mods while dyno'ing the cars.

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
speed for sale, has them maybe we could get Jermery to coment on these?

· Registered
7,860 Posts
folks

to the point.

The coils pack with the most voltage increase for a CDI based ignition is the one and only Mercury Marine Thunderbolt coils. The issue with these coils are that the primary winding presents a dead short to all CDI. Only 4 systems I know can handle that.

All MoTeC CDI
All M&W CDI
Autronic R500
and
the Mercury Marine stock CDI.

All other systems will DIE. No I am not joking, the primary winding resistance is so low (measued at .03 ohms) that the CDI requires to bump the current up which takes out the output section as soon as the first event takes place. Mind you the price of those coils are 60 dollars.

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nobody has tried these? I find that hard to beleave....

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
figgie must be some real lightning going on in these boat motors.......

· SupraForums Sponsor
1,461 Posts

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeremy, How do you think this compares to the hks DLI ???

· Registered
7,860 Posts
Why mess with the 2jz stock coils? Those things are good to about 270 HP PER CYLINDER! Add an HKS DLI or if you have the funds. an M&W CDI and call it a day?

· Registered
11,198 Posts
i agree with you about the coils, however, it seems as tho more and more HKS DLIs are dying. so id be interested in finding a possible alternative. perhaps someone will do an actual test on a supra with them, in fact i was thinkin about asking a local dealer of this system if they wanted to try it on my sup. we will see

· Swole
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they have a plasma booster DLI box also I would like to know if it is better than HKS one should be sense the hks one is 10 year old technology!

but you never know?

· Registered
11,198 Posts
there is a vendor on here that is not a sponsor so due to SF rules i cannot mention the name but i am in talks with them to do a direct comparison of the Okada Projects plasma booster to the HKS DLI. i already have the DLI installed on my car and i would dyno the car and do some logs and then swap out the units and do it again to see the comparison. this situation is still in its infancy but it is something that we are thinking about so ill keep everyone up to date. it may not be for a few weeks but ill try.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.