Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Trev
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am definatly not new to supras...I just sold my mk3 1jz that I had for 6 years. (my sig) Anyways, time for the next project which of course, is an mk4. I have thought about just buying a TT 6 spd, but that will run 26-30k for a stock one with decent miles. So, what I am planning (and since I LOVE working and modding more than driving itself) is to get a good NA 5 speed and convert to a TT 6 speed. I have found a lot of info on turboing the NA motor, but that is not what I want to do. I can get a good NA 5 spd with targa and leather for around 12 grand. After motor/getrag/brakes/rearend/fuel pump/ecu, I am figuring I can get this done for just under 20 grand. I would like to see a list of everything that is needed to do the complete swap. I found one once, now I lost it. Can someone point me into the right direction please?

Trev

·
Trev
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see the write up on clubna-t, however, the only write up on the trans swap on MKiv.com has to do with swapping the auto to a 6 speed. I am going to swap a 5 speed to a 6 speed, and I am wondering if I will need to change the Diff and the driveshaft out for TT ones.

Trev

·
!black
4,622 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
I see the write up on clubna-t, however, the only write up on the trans swap on MKiv.com has to do with swapping the auto to a 6 speed. I am going to swap a 5 speed to a 6 speed, and I am wondering if I will need to change the Diff and the driveshaft out for TT ones.

Trev

Yes, you need basically all the parts on the list regardless if you are 5spd already (sans pedals).

trans, bell, clutch, flywheel, slave cyl assembly, ds, differential (whole 6spd assembly), half shafts.

Might look into the R154 alternatives that are popping up here. Still in the early stages, but show promiss for NA-T/TT'ers

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
never happen for the money you are talking about....

$5k for a diff/getrag/axles/driveshaft
$1k for misc driveline parts (yes, you need to do the slave, clutch, shifter, etc)
$2500 for a decent GTE motor
USDM harness..... $500
intercooler, downpipe, piping, misc other stuff.... $2k
optinoal:
wheels? brakes? sways (they are different too.... ;) ) usdm cams usdm turbos (ceramic explodes past 17psi) exhaust..... the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on........

not to talk you out of it, since like myself you like the modding route. Just that it's huge money. If you want a TT then get one that's a TT, don't go NA-TT it's not going to be cheaper, not by a long shot. If you want to discuss all the ins/outs call me at 603-674-3468. I just completed mine and the only reason I did mine is that I wanted for some forgotten reason a hardtop black/black anniv edition. I'd say get a beatup TT 6 speed and single it. You'll have plenty of wrench time restoring it and it'll be sweet.

-M

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
It would be better if you went NA-T 6spd , that would save you some money and deliver more bang for the buck with a proper setup.

·
Trev
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
98mkiv said:
never happen for the money you are talking about....

$5k for a diff/getrag/axles/driveshaft
$1k for misc driveline parts (yes, you need to do the slave, clutch, shifter, etc)
$2500 for a decent GTE motor
USDM harness..... $500
intercooler, downpipe, piping, misc other stuff.... $2k
optinoal:
wheels? brakes? sways (they are different too.... ;) ) usdm cams usdm turbos (ceramic explodes past 17psi) exhaust..... the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on........

not to talk you out of it, since like myself you like the modding route. Just that it's huge money. If you want a TT then get one that's a TT, don't go NA-TT it's not going to be cheaper, not by a long shot. If you want to discuss all the ins/outs call me at 603-674-3468. I just completed mine and the only reason I did mine is that I wanted for some forgotten reason a hardtop black/black anniv edition. I'd say get a beatup TT 6 speed and single it. You'll have plenty of wrench time restoring it and it'll be sweet.

-M
I didn't realize the cots for the 6 speed conversion...that is most of the cost right there. The motor is a cake walk. If I have an mk4, it will have a getrag in it..no R154 about it. Thanks for the great info...I think I will just wait for a TT to come along...

Trev

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
a wise choice. I did my build and if I hadn't had such a hard on for a singled hardtop... I'd have waited too....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts