Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting Redline 75w90 gear oil in the differential. It is the kind that has the Limited Slip Differential additive. I heard someone say not to use the LSD additive, but never confirmed why. Please help.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Elude

I know not to put Redline in the transmission (stick with the standard Toyota ATF fluid). I am talking about the differential. It sounds like you are saying that I do want to use the limited slip differential additive product.

Can anyone offer additional clarification on this topic?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If I remember right, it's the NS redline. Although we have a limited slip, there is something special about it where we are suppose to use the nonslip (NS).

J

·
0 Posts
Our differentials are a Torsen type and don't need friction modifiers to work properly. Friction modifier additives are required for clutch type differentials where there is a friction plate operating. Redline is good fluid.

Jeff

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Jeff,

Would you mind spelling out for some of us, chemically-challenged, the bottom line -- Is Redline WITHOUT the LSD additive the one to use?

Jay :cool:

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Do not put LSD additive into the differential. As Jeff said, the differentials in the Supra work on gearing (like in the transmission) vs friction (like in the clutch). :)

So it doesn't behave like other limited slip diffs which the additives were designed for.

My BPU '97 has 95,000 miles and hasn't had any problems yet. I use only stock Toyota fluids for cooling, transmission, differential. The only aftermarket fluid I use is Mobil 1 for the engine and the pink stuff for the windshield wipers :)

Oh yeah, and Castrol GTP (i think) brake fluid :)

supra_10 said:
Jeff,

Would you mind spelling out for some of us, chemically-challenged, the bottom line -- Is Redline WITHOUT the LSD additive the one to use?

Jay :cool:

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
My current '97 has RedLine shockproof differential fluid and runs strong with no noises.

HOWEVER, as soon as I find a convenient time I will change over to Mobile One 70 weight synthetic gear oil because I've used it on all of my other Supras with great results. You can get the Mobile One oil at any Checker or Pep Boys for $9 per quart. Buy two quarts and you'll have about 1/2 of one left over.

Also, the diff drain plug has a built-in magnet to trap any metal particles that may have been created by wear. When you pull the plug check to see if there is a significant accumulation of particles. A few are normal, but a sizeable blob is cause for concern.

As has already been stated - NO friction modifiers!
John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Beau,

What's up man! hope u got the manual boost controller by now that i sent u.

As for diffy fluid get it from www.myoilshop.com We get 10% off for mentioning u are with the supra group. I use it in my car and my car 57X rwhp without a problem. That thumping sound that people are talking about is the tranny fluid. I ran mt90 in my car for a couple of weeks and all noises went away. I went atf d4 for awhile and noise came back, but then i went back to stock because of what people said about centering. You are an auto so i wouldn't swet it.

Sid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts