Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i fried my ECU on my 89T Manual. I have an old harness and ECU from an 87T Manual. Can I use that computer and harness? will it affect performance?
(I only fried the connections coming from the 2 black wires on the o2 sensor, can I get by without those?)
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks like i fried my ECU on my 89T Manual. I have an old harness and ECU from an 87T Manual. Can I use that computer and harness? will it affect performance?
(I only fried the connections coming from the 2 black wires on the o2 sensor, can I get by without those?)
Thanks for the help
you can use the older ecu and harness aslong as they are yellow connectors.
however, you can get away with the two black wires burnt because they are just to heat the o2 sensor up thats all.
it will just take longer for your 02 sensor to warm up

steven

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those 2 wires melted and touched. i noticed smoke coming out of the ECU a few seconds later so it turned it off and unplugged the battery.

think it will be ok? or should i just switch the ECU and harness? They do have the yellow connectors

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ECU might be fine...

the ECU is pretty stout on these cars, I've heard of VERY few failures...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'm getting really bad air/fule mix. its throwing code for the o2 sensor and i think all 3 o2 sensor wires were touching.

should i try the other wiring harness or is there something easier I can try?

Does the old ECU with the yellow connections have the same fuel maps? will i lose HP?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Installing the older ECU into an 89 car, though it will physicaly plug in, will still need some pins changed in the harness. Plug it in, see what "other" stuff freaks out, you'll understand real quick ;)

Fix or replace the 89 harness, easier than the alternative, unless your good at wiring, and have the factory electrical supplements.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I guess I'm going for a new computer. The older harness was damaged anyway. Does anyone have an extra 89 T 5-Speed Computer I can have? :) (Or buy . . . free is always better though ;) )

I'll trade all kinds of stuff for it. I have new head gasket, an older computer, harness with some missing wires, a few blown turbos, intercoolers. Just ask!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts