Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unreal.
An uncapped GT500 makes 567RWHP.
Looks like it's going to be detuned to 500hp/500TQ but the potential of this motor is just sickening.
I'm taking a loan out on my 401K, trading in my 98 Cobra and using the 10K I have saved up right now for one after the markup subside.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=647398

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
saga2628 said:
That's sick. Wonder how much it will cost.
A guess?

2-5k less than the vette

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave Capone said:
the sticker will be above 40grand?
The head of SVT and Carrol Shelby all have said that the car would price under 40K.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
it says in that thread 36k

·
Supra Newb
635 Posts
itll probably be like 39k, just under 40k so they can use that as a marketing gimmick and so its cheaper than the vette

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red_Fire said:
itll probably be like 39k, just under 40k so they can use that as a marketing gimmick and so its cheaper than the vette
Yep.
I'll bet it's 39995.

·
4,109 Posts
almost $40k and still can't get IRS. No thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can probably add it. But I think Ford is always inbetween a rock and a hard place on this.

IRS=better handling and better riding but worse 1/4 times

Solid rear=better 1/4 times at the expense of handling.

Since mags always compare the 0-60/1/4 times and the benchmark, solid rears get the nod. They are also cheaper to make.

talltrini10 said:

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
I had heard they did a survey amongst current Mustang owners and did surveys in the prospected demographic and the overwhelming response was to build it with a solid rear axle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
talltrini10 said:
Don't get stuck on IRS.
Shelby said that they got their target numbers on the cars handling with the live rear axle. The new chassis is so dialed in they could bypass the IRS which would have added a few K to the price of the car and were able to save nearly 100 lbs on the car. It's being leaked out of the SVT camp that the cars getting 2000 Cobra R numbers in it's current trim. So figure near or at 1.0g on the skid and possibly faster in the slalom which was around 69mph with the Cobra R. All that with a live rear axle and on 255" for tires and a high 11 sec 1/4 time.
How can anybody bag on those numbers for a 40K price tag.

Don't forget Shelby was never a straight line guy. He's a road racer. He's always made sure his cars could turn into the corners. That being said and with Thai-Tang the head of SVT stating that their new goal of the division was for their cars to handle with M3's, Vettes etc I would expect their first new car coming out after that statement to be a real performer. Their not going to hamstring it with a live rear axle if they couldn't get the desired results. If you can get a live rear dialed in with a good chassis and get great numbers out of it you got a real winner because you got best of both worlds, good off the line performance and good turn in performance, a substantial loss of weight and a reduction of costs in both R&D and in the final production costs.

Here is a clip from Fords web site

Thai-Tang and his team aimed for a better-controlled ride than the GT, particularly at low and medium speeds, with better body control (included in Thai-Tang’s stable of test cars is a Pontiac GTO—the 400-hp version, as well as a C6 Corvette and a BMW M3). Front brakes are 14-inch cross-drilled rotors with 13s in the rear. The car should weigh about 3600 pounds, 200 more than a GT, Thai-Tang says.

By the way, Thai-Tang has a message for those of us bummed out about the live rear axle: “Drive the car first,” he says, “and you’ll see it’s a nonissue, because the chassis is dialed in so well.”

“I didn’t know what to expect before I drove the car,” said Carroll Shelby. “I knew the car looked good. Then I drove it. Wow. It’s everything I hoped it would be.”

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GPTourer said:
I had heard they did a survey amongst current Mustang owners and did surveys in the prospected demographic and the overwhelming response was to build it with a solid rear axle.
I was part of it and yes your correct. The majority of Mustang owners, and the majority of people surveyed in the cars target demographics all requested a solid rear.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Ford is going insane with superchargers lately. The Ford GT was rated at 550 BHP but has dynoed up to 565 RWHP after break in (stock 5.4L engine). Apparently they vary a lot from car to car but damn! :freak:

·
4,109 Posts
Cobalt said:
Don't get stuck on IRS.
Shelby said that they got their target numbers on the cars handling with the live rear axle. The new chassis is so dialed in they could bypass the IRS which would have added a few K to the price of the car and were able to save nearly 100 lbs on the car. It's being leaked out of the SVT camp that the cars getting 2000 Cobra R numbers in it's current trim. So figure near or at 1.0g on the skid and possibly faster in the slalom which was around 69mph with the Cobra R. All that with a live rear axle and on 255" for tires and a high 11 sec 1/4 time.
How can anybody bag on those numbers for a 40K price tag.

Don't forget Shelby was never a straight line guy. He's a road racer. He's always made sure his cars could turn into the corners. That being said and with Thai-Tang the head of SVT stating that their new goal of the division was for their cars to handle with M3's, Vettes etc I would expect their first new car coming out after that statement to be a real performer. Their not going to hamstring it with a live rear axle if they couldn't get the desired results. If you can get a live rear dialed in with a good chassis and get great numbers out of it you got a real winner because you got best of both worlds, good off the line performance and good turn in performance, a substantial loss of weight and a reduction of costs in both R&D and in the final production costs.

Here is a clip from Fords web site

Thai-Tang and his team aimed for a better-controlled ride than the GT, particularly at low and medium speeds, with better body control (included in Thai-Tang’s stable of test cars is a Pontiac GTO—the 400-hp version, as well as a C6 Corvette and a BMW M3). Front brakes are 14-inch cross-drilled rotors with 13s in the rear. The car should weigh about 3600 pounds, 200 more than a GT, Thai-Tang says.

By the way, Thai-Tang has a message for those of us bummed out about the live rear axle: “Drive the car first,” he says, “and you’ll see it’s a nonissue, because the chassis is dialed in so well.”

“I didn’t know what to expect before I drove the car,” said Carroll Shelby. “I knew the car looked good. Then I drove it. Wow. It’s everything I hoped it would be.”

Hmmm...ok, wasn't aware of all that. I guess I will reserve judgement until I ride in/drive one

·
Registered
605 Posts
Solid rear > IRS

This car sounds amazing, but I'll keep the Supra. They'll be more of them after the first year then Supras in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Dear Jesus. I think the muscle car trend is cycling around again.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Damn impressive numbers, but a solid rear end and 3600 pound curb weight would do nothing to sway me into purchasing one... :)

Steve T. (clearly not in their target demographics)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
SupraMan1990 said:
Dear Jesus. I think the muscle car trend is cycling around again.
NO DOUBT, and "relatively" cheap V8 muscle rides are America's forte in the same way the Japanese rule minivans. The Hemi passenger cars, C6 (cheap relative to foreign rivals), Mustangs, and even the forthcoming 395hp Trailblazer SS and 420hp Cherokee SRT-8 SUVs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts