Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
omg help, im putting my head back on my engine today after a good half year of having it off, im trying to get the engine back to "TDC" compression, which is what i believe is to be the first cylinder rested at the top, however i cant get this cylinder up there worth a damn, i think the counterbalances are keeping me from doing it, as soon as i get the cylinder up there it just springs back to the bottom really quick almost breaking my fingers and arms

do i need it to be at the top or does itnot matter or what?? help!

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
Can I ask, how are you going about turning the crank?

EDIT: And you have an '88, with a 6M crank. That means no counter weights / counter balances.

EDIT #2:

Use a socketwrench, a big one, with an extension of some sort. Put it on the crank, and put a long metal pole on the handle part. Then slowly, at the opposite end of the pole, pull down, going towards the intake side of the motor, until piston 1 is at TDC. Use the guides on the crank (0 , 5 , 10 , 15) to help you.

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
take out the sparkplugs and make sure the timing belt isnt gettin caught at all on the crank or oil pump drive pullies....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahahahah thanks mattsmall, i betcha im in gear

also to answer your q hamzam, 6m cranks DO have counterbalances, but im just using a socket to turn the crank pully like you said.

also the head is off still so im not turning against compression or nothin, thanks tho, ill try that and come back.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
It doesnt' matter if you are @ tdc when you put the head back on..

Get everything back together, and then worry about setting it to TDC since then you have to check your timing anyways.. The cps is the biggest bitch to get lined up perfectly... Took me about 2 hours, and then I was 15-30.. So i had to slip it one more back and was 0-15.. Be patient and have a timing light.. You DONT want it at 15 ++++ timing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yikes, dont know what any of that means but thanks, ill remember it for when i get to that part.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
when you get the head back on the block there is a cps (cam position sensor) you have to set it to some degree (i forget) and then make sure everyhting is perfect. i just put my motor together and since the toyota dealer is 4mi away i put a chain on my car and had my dad tow me to toyota to get everything set.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Disced said:
It doesnt' matter if you are @ tdc when you put the head back on..

Get everything back together, and then worry about setting it to TDC since then you have to check your timing anyways.. The cps is the biggest bitch to get lined up perfectly... Took me about 2 hours, and then I was 15-30.. So i had to slip it one more back and was 0-15.. Be patient and have a timing light.. You DONT want it at 15 ++++ timing.

Good luck.
Good advice about putting it all together 1st, but 2 hours to put in the CPS? Dang Dude, that's rough. After getting to TDC, it took me all of ~5 seconds to get the CPS in & aligned on the 1st try. Granted, I'm old & aligned my 1st distributor in 1977, but still, it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
Larry_A said:
Good advice about putting it all together 1st, but 2 hours to put in the CPS? Dang Dude, that's rough. After getting to TDC, it took me all of ~5 seconds to get the CPS in & aligned on the 1st try. Granted, I'm old & aligned my 1st distributor in 1977, but still, it shouldn't be that hard.
Cps's are much easier....dont have that damn oil pimp driveshaft to worry about:p :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mattsmall said:
when you get the head back on the block there is a cps (cam position sensor) you have to set it to some degree (i forget) and then make sure everyhting is perfect. i just put my motor together and since the toyota dealer is 4mi away i put a chain on my car and had my dad tow me to toyota to get everything set.
yeah i know about all that ( i did take it apart afterall ) im just not sure what you meant by 0-15 or 15-30 and 15++++ but ill figure that out when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts