Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched! Strictly thinking Greddy. It will be Greddy "old tech". No other brand is a consideration, maybe later as I explore single turbos. Will be running 93octane 99% of the time.

Was thinking t78 as streetability is of relative concern.
Ahh! Then I go BACK to thinking "hmmm, a t88h is monster temptation".
I see the t88-34D and t88-33D. Which come in different flavors. Looks like a progressive spectrum kind of thing. And that's the reason for the availabilty of such combos.

I am now strongly considering the t88-33D but have three choices. 14, 15, 18.
Got the t78 and sent it back so it's gonna be some kind of t88.

I know these are tried and tested by many, Greddy must have sold a lot of these kits because they are seen frequently on the streets. My tuner has installed a ton of these and agrees that if I am uninterested in a 1000hp car that then considering other t88's is a good bet to be at least in the 700hp club with better spool charecteristics than the larger H turbo.

Anyone care to help on what choice and why? How much hp on 93octane? How about the smaller 33D? Less laggy than t88h? Of course. More hp than t78 with bit more lag?

Seems like beating a dead horse but mostly trying to see the in betweens of the t88 family........... :scratch:

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
eduarprmd said:
I've searched! Strictly thinking Greddy. It will be Greddy "old tech". No other brand is a consideration, maybe later as I explore single turbos. Will be running 93octane 99% of the time.

Was thinking t78 as streetability is of relative concern.
Ahh! Then I go BACK to thinking "hmmm, a t88h is monster temptation".
I see the t88-34D and t88-33D. Which come in different flavors. Looks like a progressive spectrum kind of thing. And that's the reason for the availabilty of such combos.

I am now strongly considering the t88-33D but have three choices. 14, 15, 18.
Got the t78 and sent it back so it's gonna be some kind of t88.

I know these are tried and tested by many, Greddy must have sold a lot of these kits because they are seen frequently on the streets. My tuner has installed a ton of these and agrees that if I am uninterested in a 1000hp car that then considering other t88's is a good bet to be at least in the 700hp club with better spool charecteristics than the larger H turbo.

Anyone care to help on what choice and why? How much hp on 93octane? How about the smaller 33D? Less laggy than t88h? Of course. More hp than t78 with bit more lag?

Seems like beating a dead horse but mostly trying to see the in betweens of the t88 family........... :scratch:

A T88 is overkill for the street especially if you are going to run pump gas all the time like you mentioned. A T78 would be a better choice since its spooled up at about 4k and it can easily make 500whp on pump which is great for the street. An even better choice would be the 67DBB.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had a T88H-34D. Pump gas 1.3 bar made 560whp or thereabouts. AEM equipped of course. full boost by 5300 rpms, but it started pulling pretty good around 4500. I loved it. But I don't mind lag one bit. Race gas and 80% tuned netted me 712whp.

Later,
Alex W.

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks a lot!
Aaaaany comments welcome! Been and seen other Supras with the BL, HKS, and SP turbos. Have experienced the Greedy's too. A friend had a t88-33D and it was a joyride literally. Driving was like, hold 4k aprox, floor it and wooohooo, left us Vipers and Porsches in some kind of a rush. Fairly quick spool to monster power and gone he was. This is my first Supra. An older car delightfuly new to me. With laggy twin Garrets made 450rwhp @ 14psi boost. Controller not working. Wanted single turbo and may try several different ones. AEM may help standardize things for the many with it. I'm tempted mainly for the coolnes of computer play and cool easy to manage complexities of it. Moreover methanol injection is planned too. Haltech is cool AEM seems cooler.

I disagree on the many overkill adjectives towards this turbo although I understand mainly referenced towards the H type turbo. I have experienced these too and had lots of fun. The 88H is laggy but hits very hard.

Why not a 33D?
Lag is overrated, I agree!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts