Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 turbo
Next week im going to install 3" SS downpipe with elbow and run full 3" exhaust with 3" inlet muffler (Apexi N1 style)
no cats nothing
Is it going to be loud?
and if it is should i install glasspacks or i will just lose hp?
thanks

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,095 Posts
Just wait till supraforums see my exhaust...omg, then we'll talk about loud.

and yeah, it'll be quite loud.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
"loud" is incredibly subjective. What one person thinks is loud is quiet to another. By my standards a turbo car with no muffler or cats is NOT loud. Harley's and built up V8's will be much louder then your car. Adding an N1 style muffler will tone the sound a bit. Glasspack is a bad idea on a Supra.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
its somewhat loud....not annoying loud like a civic and not enormously loud like a v8...id say its fairly moderate.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
glasspacks have little scoop type thins inside that pull some of the exhaust gas into the packed chamber, and there can greatly reduce flow...my car has a straight exhaust, not even a muffler, and its really not that loud as some may say. sure, it wont be lke riding in a caddy or anything, but the average civic with shitcannon on it its MUCH louder than turbo supra with straight exhaust

S

·
0 Posts
So is there any way to make a turbo loud like v8 loud but not annoying like civics??

·
Eclectic
1,139 Posts
Ya, big turbo and an open wastegate.
no supra with a 3" exhaust is going to sound like a civic with a 1 1/2.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Street_Flagger said:
So is there any way to make a turbo loud like v8 loud but not annoying like civics??
Cutout:cool: Wont be quite as loud as a V8, but you will definately get some attention.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I have 3in from the turbo's housing back, no cats, and an Apexi N1... It is loud, not that loud though, it has alot of bass :) . I hear louder civics all the time. It is much deeper than most civics I see driving around, and with my setup after like 4k rpms all you can hear is the engine anyways :D

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Street_Flagger said:
yes, take off your downpipe and run off the turbo elbow and itll sound like a decently modded 5.0stang.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I've thought about making a racing pipe that goes from the DP into a 45 bend and either a turn down tip or slash cut that dumps out under the passenger rocker panel infront of the rear wheel.
Basicly a open exhaust for race nights, or playing around. No muffler, and it's shorter so it should flow excellent. (Would be cheap too.)
The other option is a new DP that dumps just behind the front wheel, and is just long enough to be slash cut right at the rocker panel. (Nascar style with two or three square tubing tips to keep ground clearance excellent, and it kind of forms an exhaust panel exit. If I used 1.5x2 tubes, it would look nice, and flow plenty, problem is the merge area would need to flow right or it would cause restriction. The easy way would be to run the DP straight back, and have the box tubing angle off the pipe with the last one tapering the pipe to the rear wall of the box section. (Like a 2JZ intake manifold.)
Heck screw the fancy tips, just put a turn down under the car, and dump it there. It would help to keep it quiet too. (Besides, it's a great leaf blower that way.... )

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Like the new mustangs? That is a pretty cool idea, but I for one would be wayy to lazy to install a different exhaust for one night;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
WTF is up with these threads... so pointless

·
Registered
948 Posts
i'm going 3" dp 3" mandrel no muffler no cat, it cant be any louder than my built 22r header high flow cat, no muffler combo

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Bishop92T said:
"loud" is incredibly subjective. What one person thinks is loud is quiet to another. By my standards a turbo car with no muffler or cats is NOT loud. Harley's and built up V8's will be much louder then your car. Adding an N1 style muffler will tone the sound a bit. Glasspack is a bad idea on a Supra.
I have no cats/muffler. My car isn't nearly as loud as most domestics, but it is still pretty loud. Lets just say I never have to knock on anyone's door -- they always know I'm comin ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts