Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in one of the recent Lexus LS460 threads, but I thought I would make a new thread since it was distinct from those ones. I went to my local Lexus dealership over the weekend and picked out an LS460 after having looked at it a couple different times. I was looking for a black/black L-version, but they are hard to come by, and quite frankly I didn't feel like spending the money for an extra 4-5 inches. So, I went with the regular length version, black/black, Levenson 19 speaker Audio, Navi, Crazy Park-Itself System, etc.. Anyway, they installed DVD players/screens in the rear headrests and delivered the car to me yesterday. I have zero camera skills and just took some off-hand shots in the driveway, but here they are:

Here's the only semi-good interior shot I took, with the kid trying to drive it away of course:

This is replacing my current 745Li, I look like an idiot with both in front of my house :) Rear-end comparison shot:

Sorry if the pics blow, I will try and get some better ones this weekend (larger versions can be seen here). Maybe even take some with its distant MKIV cousin since it is getting detailed on Saturday :)

Couple initial impressions I have of it:

- Steering is not as connected to the road as the BMW, no shocker though and nothing major.

- Wooden steering wheel is kinda annoying, I keep clanging my ring and watch on it. I hope it's scratch/gouge resistant.

- I have to be on "warp speed alert", the car is very quiet at high speeds and gets there without much notice.

- Trunk room appears to be much better than the BMW. We put a double stroller in it with ease that had to be really maneuvered to get in the 7 series.

- Hallelujah for a regular turn signal switch! The 745Li ones are multi-stage and maddening.​

That's all I have for now 66 miles in, we'll see how it goes from here. Anyone have any suggestions for wheels? I have never looked into putting any on a sedan, so I am clueless. Thanks for viewing.
Chris

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Awesome! Looks SWEET in black. Personally I think the LS460 is better looking than the S-Class, 7 series and A8.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Very beautiful car, and congratulations on the new addition. I also think it's much more elegant than the 7-series and an S550 (the S65 has me by the scrote!). :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
For the given amount of features, Lexus is hands down possessing the cleanest and most intuitive interior layout of any luxury make. I say given amount of features because Cadillac and Lincoln are clean but the number of bells and whistles are typically far more sparse.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
I love it. Nice choice on color.
Agreed. That car is bad ass in black, almost assuredly the color I would get if I was in the market for one. I saw one just like yours at Toyota HQ in Torrance. Had the 19-inch Euro wheels and was lowered. That was all but it looked killer. Congrats on the new addition.

Ken.

8,181 Posts
man, what a ride.i get to see it and feel it in person but they did not let us or them by selves parallel parked that thing for us. the interior is one sexy thing. i would replace my living room and just park the LS in their if i could.

also make a vid for the parallel park if u could just for fun.

for the wheels: i dont like the oem ones. you need to change it asap with a wide deep lip wheels.

congrates.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
- I have to be on "warp speed alert", the car is very quiet at high speeds and gets there without much notice.
I have been known to park my Lexus and forget the engine is running.:nervous:

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

STAGED: My initial impression is that you are correct. Things are laid out in a very easy to access manner, yet there are lots of bells & whistles. Going from the i-Drive on the 7-series, particularly the early 6-way version, the LS460 is much easier to operate.

attie4: Soon as I give it a go and know I won't F it up somehow, I'll see if I can put something together.

TrueSlideXL: Given that the vehicles I usually drive are on the loud side (H2/MKIV), the quiet factor really threw me off. I am used to gauging my speed/driving by sound, not happening on this car :)

cvc9216: Always bet on black ;)

KenHenderson: I took the car as-is since it was a great overall package (save the wheels). A good set of rims will make a big difference I think, but I want to find something that makes sense looks-wise and in terms of safety. I browsed through ClubLexus last night and saw a few wheel options, none of which blew me away:

As I've seen written on this board..."meh." The first ones aren't awful and could work in a size other than 20"+. I prefer a simple design as compared to many of the ones I have seen, which are too busy for my tastes (obviously the clientèle for these rims wants that though). Perhaps some Fikse FM5s?

Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Chris

·
Registered
17,677 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Chris:

Nice addition! The side by side views really date the 7-series. (Which usually happens with edgier designs.)

My usual suggestions to clients were:
Mesh wheels for a classic look.
5-spoke for more aggressive look.
Multi-spoke if you're caught in between.

You'll have to keep us updated on your day to day experiences with the car and all of its nuances.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Chris,

I want to emphasize up front these are my personal opinions and they are not meant to offend, although they may do just that. I don't have a specific wheel to recommend, but I agree with you about all of the wheels you posted. This is a classy car (as is its direct competition). A number of the pics above show how well this car looks lowered. Speaking personally, I am so tired of the DUB/bling/deepest dish possible look on cars such as the LS460. Not only is urban baller/wannabe gangster inappropriate for a car as nice as this, it detracts from the overall presentation of what the car is all about.

Many put the biggest wheels possible on cars like this (and their SUVs) and pay no mind to the harm done to the overall look of the car. If it were my car, I wouldn't go any larger than 19s and I would lower the car just so. Not so low as to make it difficult for wifey and kids to get about comfortably when you're not around, but low enough to make it look different from the just-off-the-showroom cars. The other reason is, this is a big car and, IMO, these cars need some sidewall for proportion sake and to maintain the classiness it comes with from the factory. Again, speaking personally, I absolutely hate the rubber-band tire look on 20-22-inch wheel/tire combos and what the very thin sidewalls do to the overall proportions of the vehicle in question.

Lastly, nobody talks about the diminution in overall performance from most vantage points these bigger than life wheels cause, braking, acceleration, raising the vehicle's center of gravity and increasing the frontal area, cornering, ride quality, you name it. Increasing unsprung weight and rotational mass is not my idea of enhancing a vehicle's overall performance from the factory. It seems there is no room for understatement in today's world, but it is something I would strive for where this car is concerned.

Ken.

P.S. My personal test for most wheels is that, if the wheels are the only thing I notice about the car when I see it, they are the wrong wheels. Overall presentation is key here.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Ken,

I agree with you 100% on trucks and SUV's you see with 26, 28 or even 30" wheels, they look ridiculous.

HOWEVER! I think a car as big as the LS460 looks best on ~20" wheels if not 21" wheels. That still allows for a decent size sidewall.

The car comes with 235/50/18's from the factory, a staggered set with 245/35/21's front and 285/30/21 rears (have not checked to see if tires this size are even available) would be just 1/2" taller than stock.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestions!

Aaron1017: I have CCW Classics on my MKIV, but I don't see anything in their lineup that suits the car IMO, or at least my view of what the car should look like. Love them on the Supra though, especially with 315s in the rear!

T66Dawg: Thanks for the links, those wheels look nice, but I think they look best on a Viper/Supra/aggressive sports-car type vehicle. We do get snow around here occasionally and my experience with any of the bigger wheel/smaller sidewall combos is that it is not worth doing for my purposes, not that I think this is a snow car :nono:

Supra GTR: I agree. While there are definitely styling cues from the 745 on the LS460, the Lexus winds up being sleeker and less awkward. I will keep your suggestions in mind during my search, for now I am in the "strong but not too aggressive" 5-spoke camp.

KenHenderson: No offense taken here, input is always good. I see pretty much eye-to-eye with you on this, I posted what I found on ClubLexus for reference, they are not necessarily what I would go with in this situation. I am aiming for a 18" wheel that provides good sidewall proportion as well as a balanced look. I might consider 19" if the wheels were right, but I am not putting anything crazy on the car :)

Most of the ones above look goofy to me except the first Wald ones, but only if they were 18-19" rather than 22". They still might be too much even then, but I don't think they come in those sizes anyway. I threw out the Fikse idea as that is more along the lines of what I was going for, and the Jag was the quickest larger sedan I could find with them shown. I am definitely trying to find something to complement the car, not just to grab attention. Thanks for the rundown, much appreciated!

SteelCitySupra: The 745Li is getting detailed this weekend and then I am going to figure out where/how I am going to sell it. Anyone interested in a black/gray '03 745LI with 55K and a 100K warranty? I have title in hand :)

Thanks again for the responses.
Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Ken,

I agree with you 100% on trucks and SUV's you see with 26, 28 or even 30" wheels, they look ridiculous.

HOWEVER! I think a car as big as the LS460 looks best on ~20" wheels if not 21" wheels. That still allows for a decent size sidewall.

The car comes with 235/50/18's from the factory, a staggered set with 245/35/21's front and 285/30/21 rears (have not checked to see if tires this size are even available) would be just 1/2" taller than stock.
Guilly,

When I was typing that "no larger than 19s" statement, I thought you might say something similar to your quote above. With the right wheel design and tire sizing, I think I could be convinced go with 20s, but not sure about the 21s. I did see a black LS 460 with 20s that was perfect in everyway, IMO but, for the life of me, I can't find the link.

Ken.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
20's would probably be a great middle ground. Large enough considering the size of the car and not so large that the car looks funny and affect ride and handling too much.

But I bet a nice set of 19's or 20's with the proper tires (wider than stock as well) would make the car handle much better as well!

Guilly,

When I was typing that "no larger than 19s" statement, I thought you might say something similar to your quote above. With the right wheel design and tire sizing, I think I could be convinced go with 20s, but not sure about the 21s. I did see a black LS 460 with 20s that was perfect in everyway, IMO but, for the life of me, I can't find the link.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts