Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just a General question for everyone in Ontario with a relatively modified car, that will help everyone else (including ME) make decisions with respect to car insurance...

1) What insurance company are you with?
2) Do you tell them about your performance mods and insure your performance mods?

Ontario insurance companies are notorious for turning down people with modified cars (due to an un-substantiated assumption you race your car). Some insurance companies are better than others... so it would be nice to know of whom everyone has had the experience of dealing? and who you guys recommend? or who we should beware of?

Cheers,

B.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know for a fact TD, TD Meloch Monnex, RBC, and Guarantee are BAD ideas for any modified vehicle. I have a friend who they made sign a waiver that stated they will not payout any claim if he fails to notify them of ANY performance related modification.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
new laws have passed that makes things difficult. I just bought a white 89 T. Its stock but before they insured it the car had to be inspected at a shop to make sure it wasn't modified or they wouldn't touch it. Its a good thing it was stock because I didn't know this

Certain cars including the supra are on the "highly modified vehicle" list.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I am with statefarm, they own my ass without lube.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackout_89t said:
I am with statefarm, they own my ass without lube.
do you tell them or insure your mods?

it is a messed up situation... if you tell them they might just make you pay for the additional value of the items installed, or some, maybe most, will actually refuse to insure you.

I made a few calls today to several underwritters... if you change your cars "performance significantly", it apparently changes the "material risk exposure", and if you do not notify them ahead of time they have the right to deny a claim completely.

Sounds messed right?... catch 22 is... if you do tell them about it, most companies will cancel your policy as they "do not write that type of risk".

I am confused as hell with this system in Ontario. In Western Europe most companies offer a modified car polcy addition that allows you to pay to insure all your mods by loading up your premium.

Here you lose no matter what. I am still digging, but please do post if you have some useful info or good luck with certain companies.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ANY insurance company in Ontario is a government-legalized FRAUD. In addition to ripping people off they also turn down people with modified cars. Fuck this shit...
I've been with a company called "Personal" for two years, their customer service sucks from what i hear, but paying 82$/month for a Supra Turbo i shouldnt complain. Some poor people pay WAY more than that and still get shit service. In case something happened to my car (knock knock knock), insurance company would be the last place that i would expect HELP from. All those scammers should be raped with a barb wire wrapped broom handle.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zz_denis said:
All those scammers should be raped with a barb wire wrapped broom handle.
:werdlol:

I read this a few minutes ago in the office while having my coffee, and i laughed so hard, i spit coffee on all over my desk.

Please do tell more about this insurance company.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
SupraLizard said:
do you tell them or insure your mods?

it is a messed up situation... if you tell them they might just make you pay for the additional value of the items installed, or some, maybe most, will actually refuse to insure you.

I made a few calls today to several underwritters... if you change your cars "performance significantly", it apparently changes the "material risk exposure", and if you do not notify them ahead of time they have the right to deny a claim completely.
No they think the car is stock.

At one point my brother questioned them asking how much his coverage would increase if he had coilovers installed on his car, his rate would have increase $5000/year. FOR FUCKEN COILOVERS!! This was a year ago, now they will not insure modified vehicles, even if you pay a premium. But a company called "Kingsway" is willing to insure modified cars, but you pay a little extra for it. Not sure as to what extent "modified" means to them, but I am sure my car wouldnt meet there requirements.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke to another underwritter today that works for one of the largest companies in Ontario.

It was ridicoulos.

Here is the scoop.... (for this particular company and most companies)

-They will insure all Stereo and Electronic components (dvd players, computers, etc.)
-Cosmetic items are fine (ie. front bumper, side skirts, custom paint)
-"RACING" seats are okay and insurable
-Wheels are a NO NO.
-Exhaust NO NO.
-Any engine upgrade NO NO.
-Coil-overs or lowering NO NO.
-Suspension upgrades such as sway bars and strut bars NO NO.

Any items listed as NO give them the right to cancel your policy and hassle you during a claim. Ridicoulos, WHEELS!!!! :wtflol:

But there you have it, that is the view most insurance companies share.

You can go deaf while listening to your $5000 stero, not hear the fire truck about to rear end you with its sirens on while enjoying a fast and the furious dvd in your in dash deck all while sitting in an unsafe cheap racing seat which you didn't bolt down properely BUT you cannot install bigger wheels with stickier tires and coilovers which reduce your chances of losing control of your car, and even further reduce your roll-over chance.

Ahhh well.

Good Night,

B.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I heard, now this is just word of mouth, that you "Could" insure your modified car as a hot rod. Not too sure, but it may be a long shot. Another idea is to just make friends with your insurance agent. Because my whole family is insured with the same agent, the agent knows us well. When I went to insure my integra a few months ago, my agent played around with the numbers and went through a few loop holes, and reduced my coverage by $100/month. I have also heard that there are a few 'underground' insurance agencies that strictly cover modified cars. Its a kind of a 'For us, by us' policy. Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful, but insurance companies are like a monopoly, which ever one you go to, they still butt-fuck you. Cheers

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hot rod coverage is really only available to a couple of supras now. Usually, the rule is 15 years or older car, driver must be 25, appraisal must be done and regularly updated and the restrictions on where the car can be/you are allowed to drive are tighter than most are willing to deal with. Still the only real legal way to do it. I'm still looking into this, as even the upcoming SOLO insurance program will not cover cars with some mods (anyone with non OEM brakes is one example I have heard they can't do...there may be some others)

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
My fathers 73' spitfire had a type of insurance like this. It was either hotrod or classic car insurance something like that. The rate was cheap but strict rules:

-You are not covered on any private property including parking lots. Its the same as driving with no insurance when you do.

-This insurance technically only allows you to take the car to car shows. So when you try to claim you might have to be quick with an excuse as to why it was being driven

-you must be 25. I used to drive the thing aswell but im not sure if I was allowed to legally.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
SupraLizard said:
-They will insure all Stereo and Electronic components (dvd players, computers, etc.)
-Cosmetic items are fine (ie. front bumper, side skirts, custom paint)
-"RACING" seats are okay and insurable
-Wheels are a NO NO.
-Exhaust NO NO.
-Any engine upgrade NO NO.
-Coil-overs or lowering NO NO.
-Suspension upgrades such as sway bars and strut bars NO NO.

Any items listed as NO give them the right to cancel your policy and hassle you during a claim. Ridicoulos, WHEELS!!!! :wtflol:
What a bunch of morons. I can understand engine upgrades that actually make the car a lot faster (turbo kits, nitrous, etc.) But some of these other things are retarded.

Wheels? Those are mostly for looks. Many chrone ricer wheels actually slow down the car since they are so heavy.

Exhaust, that's really just for noise (on most cars anyways.) 2-5 extra hp doesn't turn a family car into a racing machine.

Coilovers, lowering, strut/sway bars? Those actually make the car SAFER. they should be encouraging people to do stuff like that, then they can inspect to make sure it's installed properly, and they'll end up insuring a safer car. Heck, they should give a discount to people who do suspension and brake upgrades.

Pretty soon stereo equipment won't be allowed because it's a fire hazard, no seats because they might not be installed properley and no special paint because that attracts other street racers.

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greg Bielawski said:
What a bunch of morons. I can understand engine upgrades that actually make the car a lot faster (turbo kits, nitrous, etc.) But some of these other things are retarded.

Wheels? Those are mostly for looks. Many chrone ricer wheels actually slow down the car since they are so heavy.

Exhaust, that's really just for noise (on most cars anyways.) 2-5 extra hp doesn't turn a family car into a racing machine.

Coilovers, lowering, strut/sway bars? Those actually make the car SAFER. they should be encouraging people to do stuff like that, then they can inspect to make sure it's installed properly, and they'll end up insuring a safer car. Heck, they should give a discount to people who do suspension and brake upgrades.

Pretty soon stereo equipment won't be allowed because it's a fire hazard, no seats because they might not be installed properley and no special paint because that attracts other street racers.
I 100% agree with everying, now what would it take to convince some of the CEO's of these insurance companies of this?

:wackit:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts